trim on dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Gardner

Reaction score
The problem I am having is that the two ac vents above the radio are loose and every bump I hit they tilt down. I have a 2005 XLT Trac and I think I need to remove the trim piece that is around the radio, ac vents, and the heat/ac controls. I am guessing that there is a screw in the i can tighten up.

There are 2 small bolts (10mm i think) under the radio above the temp controls. Remove them and the rest snaps together. You should be able to slide everything out enough to get to the vents. There are no screws on the vents there are some real cheep looking little tabs or clips for lack of a better name. You might get lucky and find they just popped out, if not and they are broke you will need to bet a new radio bezel or figure out how to rig them up to work. Good Luck!

Thick felt pads with stickum on the back have worked for me in the past. They sell them for pads on the bottom of lamps and such that sit on tables, to prevent scratches. Be sure to get the thick ones and not the paper thin pads. You rotate the vent far enough to see part of the frame, stick a pad on, and rotate the vent back. I've used it in several cars before and it works.

Funny! I just fixed one this past weekend. I popped the grill section out and put a clear soft plastic threaded bottle cap "gasket" on one side to act as a friction surface, poking a hole in it like a washer. It worked great and best of all, its hidden. Best to remove the whole assembly as you have to reconnect the on/off lever.

Latest posts