trouble at the pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean pace

Reaction score
I have an issue when trying to fuel up my 2005 sport trac. i can't get more than 9 cents at a time before it kicks off and spews gas out the gas cap. what causes this? i've tried going slow and changing the way i direct the nozzle into the neck but no luck.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:angry:

My '04 does this from time to time. It is as if pressure from the tank. After having the cap off for a bit it doesnt do it. I have been taking the cap off first, then get the pump ready. Seems to help.

Possible that one of the vent lines is loose or dis-connected. If so, a backpressure will result in the problem you are having.

Get used to it. My 2004 Explorer SUV at work does it every time, as do our 2 other identical ones. I finally found a gas pump at one of the local stations that has a super-slow pump rate if you leave it on the first notch. I've had to go home and change my clothes and take a shower more than once after getting an 87 octane shower!

Look under the rear driverside wheel well and see if there's a disconnected hose there. Mine came loose while driving a couple of years back and that caused my truck to do the same thing.

I agree. Check hose in wheel well. Mine came loose, had water frozen in it, put a little dry gas in hose and hooked back up. It was fine in a few hours.

There must be something wrong as stated above.

I've been filling my 02 since new and it's NEVER done such a thing.

That could be very dangerous and demands immediate attention.