truck running rough...again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric huskey 2

Reaction score
My truck has started running rough again. I thought I had fixed it but the demon has come back! It has a hard miss at idle and lacks power and sputters when I take off. It also misses when under a load going up a hill. At crusing speed and if I punch it to pass it runs fine. I previously changed plug wires. Took out and inspected all spark plugs. Cleaned maf and iac sensors. Checked the fuel pressure.Allof these things did nothing until I run seafoam through the intake and I put fuel injection cleaner in the gas tank. It fixed it for 2 months. This problem happens after it gets up to temperature then it doesn't go away. Also my truck is a 01' job1.

I did take off and clean the IAC. It went bad about 2 yrs ago and I replaced it. When it did go bad the truck wouldn't start. But it could be bad again Roger.

Previously when this happened before it thew a P0171 code. I found 2 collapsed hoses that went to the pcv valve. I replaced them but still had the rough idle until I did the seafoam.

Did you check the fuel pressure when the engine was up to temp AND under a load?

Almost sounds like a plugged filter or a weak fuel pump to me.

Actually sounds like you have an injector dropping out to me. If you had access to a decent scanner and someone that actually knows what they are doing you could access mode 6 data and look at the misfire test results to determine what cylinder is being affected so you have a starting point as opposed to playing this guessing game. Being that you have a miss under load you can automatically rule out the Iac and the throttle body, they just simply won't cause the problem you are having.