True towing capacity / Hitch Receivers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings. I am new to the forum... just bought my first Sport Trac (2002, 4x4) Monday evening. I am also proud to say that I am a Louisville local, so perhaps I will get to know some of you on here and be able to meet at future ST meets here in Louisville.

I already have a couple of questions. I hate asking questions twice on these type of forums, so I searched for previous questions and answers with no luck.

For my first "mod/addition" I am starting simple... I need a towing receiver/hitch. On the FAQ section of this site it says a 2001-2005 model can tow up to 5,310 lbs.

In the owner's manual it says the Max GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is 9,600 lbs. I assume this includes the weight of the truck and trailer? If my assumption is correct, simple math puts the difference of this number and the number listed on this site at 4,290 lbs. Does anyone have the rough weight of a stock ST within this year range? I know I could put it on a scale, but the local truck stop charges money... wondering if anyone here has already done that and can provide a free answer?!

Lastly, I am deciding between a Class 3 or a Class 4 receiver. Class 3 typically tows up to 5,000 lbs, while a Class 4 tows up to 7,500 lbs. Then again, if the true max tow weight is 5,310 lbs, it makes no sense to purchase the Class 4. My main question however is... the owner manual, under the 9,600 lbs GCWR chart, states that towing anything over 3,500 lbs requires a weight distributing hitch. Is this just typical of an owners manual? Has anyone disregarded this information? I have towed about plenty of heavy loads (over 3 or 4 tons) with a reese hitch trailer and have never heard of a weight distributing hitch. Does anyone have advice/recommendations?

Thanks.

Rusty

Louisville, KY

I had a Hidden Hitch Class III/IV on my old '05 Trac that I liked real well. p/n 87008. Tucks nice and close to the bumper and is pretty unobtrusive. A weight distributing hitch keeps the back end from riding low and keeps the vehicle level. The weight distributing portion of the hitch is really on the ball mount where the lift bars attach.

Rusty, if you didn't see it, we will all be coming to Louisville on July 14-17 to the Ford plant for a little get together. Please be there! Oh, welcome to our group. You won't find a better bunch of people!!! BC :haveabeer:

Bob - Thanks for the note. I saw "registration is up," so figured it was closed and that I would catch the next event. However, going off your post, I will certainly join in.