TSB 07-23-2 tranny updated yesterday

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64972

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Just got TSB 07-23-2 done on my '07 ST yesterday and I drove it about 75 miles. It seems fine and the acceleration is at least as good as before and the bump hasn't come back yet. The tranny seems to shift better and it does seem more like it should have when it was new.

I've been nice to FORD so far but from here on out, I'm bringing it back every month if I need to until it's right. I hope this is the cure. I have a little over 10,000 miles on my ST. I told the service person that the tranny is the only real issue I have but that it scares me long term. He said everyone complains about the tranny.

I still don't understand why they would sell a car to the public with these obvious tranny issues and that it would take this many TSB's to (hopefully) get it right! Didn't the '06 Explorers come out with this same engine/tranny a year before the '07 ST?? I hope this is the TSB that will take care of the tranny issue.

Will this go away if say, I happen to replace the battery in a couple of years or is it in the system unless the dealer changes it to another TSB? Also, Can you backup the programming for the motor and tranny to some type of device?

I'll keep you all posted!!

Gary G
:cool::wacko::blink::D

I had my 07 V8 TSB update about 5 weeks ago & so far all is good. It hasn't bumped at all between the 2nd & 1st downshift at all. I hope this was the TSB that has taken care of the tranny issue. I have put on about 300 miles on the truck since the Update:)

Maybe some others have had good results as well

Don

I had mine done about a month ago and so far no bump. Shifts are also good. I still get a little hesitation once and a while when accellerating from a stop, but I will give a bit longer to see if it goes away.

Ed

still don't understand why they would sell a car to the public with these obvious tranny issues and that it would take this many TSB's to (hopefully) get it right!

You do remember the exploding Pinto and the Firestone tire issue right. These were life threatening issues that Ford was forced to address. Yet, you wonder why they would sell a vehicle with a known tranny problem.

Your best option is to use the power of your wallet. If it gets to be too much, buy from a different manufacturer. Just remember, they all have issues (worst vehicle I ever owned was a Toyota Tacoma).

R.T. :

I like the ST except for the tranny. If this transmission issue isn't resolved then I'll go back to GM vehicles. No Toyoters for me! Nothing GM has compares to the style of the ST........IMO. This is my 1st new FORD and all has been well EXCEPT the tranny, so far. By the way...owned a 77 Pinto Cruzin Wagon and it was a great used car.

My point was that since the '06 Explorer came out with this transmission/engine combo before the '07 ST(as best I know), then you'd think they would have had the final TSB "cure" resolved long before the 2008 model year.

As far as the other manufacturers, I've only owned new GM cars before this and NEVER had any transmission issues even on cars I've owned for over 140,000 miles. Never any really big issues at all with any of them. I was and still do hope the ST will last me to the 140,000 plus miles range since, at my age, it would most likely be the last vehicle I'll own.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think there WAS an '06 ST. Production stopped for a year before the new style came out, so the '07 was the 1st year with that tranny/engine combination.

Gavin,

Funny thing Is I complained about this to the Ford engineers when I test drove the 07 in California, and they knew then about it.....

It seems like they need better tranny shop engineers....LOL

Todd Z

Chris T - I don't believe I said '06 ST, I said '06 Explorer(you know...without the truck bed). I thought the '06 Explorer had the V8/6 speed tranny combination the year before the SPORT TRAC was introduced. Quote myself "My point was that since the '06 Explorer came out with this transmission/engine combo before the '07 ST(as best I know)"!! Maybe I was mistaken....anyone who can set me straight on this one.....I may as well find out what the real story is! I thought the 2006 Explorer came with all the changes that were on the '07 ST and was just released earlier. If I'm wrong that won't be the 1st time or the last!

Even if the ,07 SPORT TRAC was the 1st year for the V8/6 speed tranny combination in the EXPLORER line....it still took them over a year and 3 TSB's that I know of to correct something that should have been ready to roll since they didn't produce a SPORT TRAC in the 2006 model year.

I wonder what the FORD engineers did for that whole year off. If they are like the engineers that I met while at GM/Delphi, they probably sat around drinking coffee, playing with their clipboards and doing time studies while they should have been working out the bugs on their upcoming new version of the SPORT TRAC 6 speed tranny.

Gary G
:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris T and Todd Z:

Chris T - Just looked up 2006 Explorer XLT on Edmunds.com and they list (4.6L 8cyl 6A) which I would assume means 4.6 Litre V8 with 6 speed Autmatic. This is why I would think they should have had this problem solved long before the '07 SPORT TRAC was introduced. Surely they had the same issues with the EXPLORER SUV that was sold as an '06?? If not, wouldn't the EXPLORER SUV tranny program be the 1st thing they would have applied to all the 6 speed '07 ST's with tranny issues?

Todd Z - Will this go away if say, I happen to replace the battery in a couple of years or is it in the system unless the dealer changes it to another TSB? Also, Can you backup the programming for the motor and tranny to some type of device?

Any rate...so far mine drives like a dream.....not like the nightmare that it has been for the past 13 months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Gary G
:cool:

Ooops... You're right, you DID mention the Explorer, not the ST for '06. Sorry about that!:wacko: And you are right, they should have corrected this problem long before it went to production.

Just got my ST back after the Tranny flash. Mine was a bit different, of course. Down shifts were fine. Up shifts from 1st to 2nd were slippin an clunkin, in stop an go traffic. S'all good now. In fact, better than new. I'm happy -- after an engine change (V8) and this tranny flash. If the truck didn't have "the look" (truly stand-out, one of a kind) , and all the other "attributes" - it'd be burning on the side of the road.

I've put about a thousand miles on mine since the 07-32-2 TSB flash and all is well. Occasionally there is an extremely slight hesitation from take off but it's soo minute that I have to be paying attention to catch it. Overall she's running very well, currently at 14,948 miles and other than having mine re-aligned because of slight tire feathering I have not had any issues.

Lil Red:

How is your mileage with the updated TSB? I was getting 14-15 around town in warm weather and 21-22 MPG highway before the latest TSB. I hope it doesn't kill my mileage because it sure does run well right now. It runs like it should have when new. I drive pretty light footed most of the time.

Gary G
:D

Gary, my mileage has not changed ~21 Highway and ~15 city. I drive with a light foot as well, and try to keep the revs below 2500. The added power makes you want to stay in the gas and continue to accelerate but I ease off to let the tranny shift up to the next gear around 2200rpm. Do you have the modified throttle body? If not, I highly recommend it....it's like a shot in the butt for the V8 ST:lol: