TSB on Drive shaft... HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Baltagi

Reaction score
How would i know if i qualify for the TSB on replacing the drive shaft? The trac DOES vibrate somewhat after 60 mph and gets worse the faster you go... I did not recieve a letter or anything. I have an '02 and its a 2x2.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 2x2? Is the the front, back, left or right side to make it a 2x2? Just kidding man.

I assume you mean a 4x2. IIRC, the 4x2 Tracs are not included in the TSB.

The reason you did not recieve a letter is because it is a TSB and not a recall. That and you have a 4x2, but the main reason is because it is only a TSB and not a recall.

Tom

Actually the 4x2 trac was the main reason for the tsb, They then later included the 4x4...

Todd Z

Sean,

Your profile lists you as owning a 2003 Estate Green Sport Trac?

Anyway, as Caymen already mentioned, it only applied to 4x4 models, not 4x2's.

Also, the vibration caused by the driveshaft is said to only occur at speeds above 70 mph. If the vibration occurs at 60 mph as you stated, it is more likely related to wheel/tire defects or balancing problems.

...Rich

My ST has had this problem around 80mph, I reported it when vehicle was new and it was never solved. I have a 01 which now has 43,000 miles, What is exactly done and where can I find info on the TSB ? I clicked TSB/Recalls on this site and was forwarded to the NTSB site but was unable to find any TSB info. Do they replace the drive shaft or is it simply rebalanced ?

Thanks

www.skittlesracing.com

Todd Z,

Show me please. If I am wrong, I want to see it.

The reason why I know, or thought I knew, it only applied to the 4x4's because I have a 4x2 Trac. I was getting vibration at high speeds. I looked under my Trac and I have an aluminum driveshaft. I then checked the TSB's and they only mentioned the 4x4 Trac.

When I ran my winter tires, the vibration was more pronounced because the winter tire tread pattern does not lend itself to a smooth comfy ride.

When I finally got rid of the Goodyear tires with BFG's, the problem was the tires.

Tom

I'm not sure if there is an expiration on TSBs, but if there is, you can solve the problem inexpensively yourself. I had the rear driveshaft balanced and new U-joints installed for US$65 (they even painted it pretty).

Tom, I Don't have the ford dealership access any more, All the on line junk i found was 4x4, But i know the dealer gave me a hard time about my 4x4, because they had TSB's for 4X2, Then i found all the 4x4 stuff...

If i come up with it, I will post it..

Todd Z

Latest posts