tunnle cover problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I went to open my cover today and had a problem with the left side latch, the latch would not release so after looking at the lock I noticed that the cable comming from the lock in the center of the cover was broken I know its hard to discribe but if you were to look at the look were the key goes from the bottom it looks like a T, it has 2 cables comming out of it and the cables are connected to the lock with plastic covers that is what broke.. This does not cause a problem when you open the cover but when you close it the left side will not latch and lock I have to find a way to glue theat plastic clip back togeather but I don't think glue will hold....I am looking for some ideas I priced out a new kit and the cable was 70.00 and the lock was 180.00 plus 107.00 to rekey it to my key. Help please...

Baker

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to change the key lock, only the cable assembly on the bottom of the key lock cylinder. The bottom of the housing is held together with plastic rivets, but in a pinch, you could use small aluminum rivets or very small bolts and nuts. If the cable housing is actually broken, then you probably need to replace it since most glue's will not be able to hold it and if you use too much it may clog the track and then it won't lock or unlock at all.

The only way that could break is if someone slammed the tonneau cover closed and there was something tall in the bed that the cable housing hit.

...Rich