Turbo Chargers 4.0 SOHC

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the STS stuff on LS1 F-bodies and on Mustangs. Never seen one on an Explorer though. The layout and location of the STS makes it ideal for a wide variety of vehicles I suppose. Very interesting. I wonder what kind of performance he's getting out of that.

Judging by the picture, the turbo is mounted -- along with the air intake -- just ahead of the <I>REAR</I> bumper! I see a couple real problems with that location:

1. Turbos are always mounted as close as possible to the exhaust manifold, because they are driven by the heat & velocity of the escaping exhaust. Both will be much lower fifteen feet or so away, so the turbo will suffer from pronounced lag and inefficiency.

2. Do you really want your engine's air intake sitting behind the rear tires and about 12" off the ground?!

You would have to dump the spare tire. Seems to me they could have engineered it into the Y-Pipe. Lot of room in that area. With the long compressed intake, how much turbo lag is there ? :huh:

Jim,

You are correct. However most of their other models are mounted closer to the engine, about where the muffler is mounted. I suspect that if they make a kit for the Sport Trac it would be closer to the exhaust manifold/Catalytic converter and have a side exiting exhaust limilar to the stock exhaust.

I think the Eplorer in the picture is is a newer model and does not have the spare tire mounted underneath the chassis, behind the rear axle.

The reviews I've read about the STS turbo system are all very positive. The claim that the turbo lag is no worse than with the turbo mounted in the engine compartment at the exhaust manifold. The big advantage is that there is far more room under the vehicle for the turbo, and to get cool intake air. And it's reported to performs as good as a turbo with an intercooler without the added expense.

...Rich

It is a 1998 Explorer. My sister has one. The tire is mounted in the same area as my Trac's tire is mounted.

The only problem I see is oil flow. I bet that is the most intricate part of the kit.

I wonder what a kit would cost.

Tom

Caymen,

STS claims that everything is easier to hook up and oil flow is not a problem even when mounted under the vehicle. I believe they said the lower remote location had better oiling a make the turbo bearings more reliable.

The models I seen tested were on an F150 and a Chevy truck, and the kits ran about $3500-$3700.

...Rich

They have to have some type of self lubrication system or sump to return the turbo oiling system beck to the engine.

I bet it is easier to hook up. I mean, look at the room under the back.

I have studied turbochargers in depth. As a matter of fact, I own a turbo engine. It is sitting on an engine stand in my brothers garage. The system looks very simple. The only problem is oil and possibly cooling for the turbo.

I am not knocking the system. I know that oil, after it has passed through the turbo, is all whiped up and is not under any pressure. Most turbo systems are mounted above the oil pan so the used oil is drained back into the oilpan to be recirculated back throuugh the engine.

I would be really interested to see how the combated that "problem".

Tom

How much dirt and crap is gonna get crammed up the filter mounted just in front of the rear bumper like that? I realize that most folks that will buy this will likely never take their truck off road but even on road only trucks every time I have lowered the spare tire it is covered in crap.

Cliff

It is hair-brained installation. Putting the turbo behind the rear axle is nuts.

What happens if road water spashes on the hot turbo?

RichardL, don't try to rationalize it. It's nuts. Nuts...nuts...nuts.

Dean,

I'm not trying to rationalize putting the turbo behind the rear axle. It looks and sounds nuts. I'm just reporting what I read in reviews, and those who tested the STS turbo's mounted under the vehcles claim that these were some of the best Turbo vehicles they had driven.

Caymen,

The oil is supplied by an electric pump supplied with the kit. They olso offer shielded filters and snorkles to relocate the filter between the inner and outer body panels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to the list of magazines that wrote articles about the STS remote Turbo systems, and the list of reasons why they say the remote turbo system is better.

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage.

Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components.

Converts back to stock in about an hour.

More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise in the passenger compartment..

http://www.ststurbo.com/magazine_articles

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted them a while back and they told me that while they had no specific kit for the STrac, they would put me in contact with one of their shops, which could custom mount a universal kit. Of course, this would cost more than the vehicle specific kits.

Their staff is very friendly and got back to me quickly.

I don't think there is a lag, mass is mass, you're pushing the same volume of air into the intake whether the turbo is up front or in the back. With the turbo in the back though, it is:

1. after cat, making it better for emissions laws.

2. cooler, away from and not adding to engine heat.

3. replaces muffler, so you get a performance sound, with no muffler. The turbo baffles the exhaust, since that is what is pushing the turbo.

As for the intake being 12 inches off the ground, they have a snorkel kit which will bring it higher up.

I would definitely consider it if there were a kit for the trac. I don't like being the beta tester for a turbo.

Latest posts