Turn Signals

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott ripp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to the site think it is great. I just bought a used 2003 ST and I am running into some issues. After doing a little research it seems that they are common issues with the 01-05 Tracs. Recently my turnsignals stopped working. When the wheel is tilted all the way up they work about 80% of the time. I need to continually adjust the wheel to get them working again. I am guessing my issue is the wires in the steering wheel. Is this something that I can fix by myself? Should I take the ST to a dealer? I don't have very much experience working on cars but I managed to change the shocks with the help of this site.

If everyone thinks I should go to a dealer, does anyone have any cost estimates?

Thanks everyone!

Here is the info from the FAQ's of the site...

Category

Electrical

Frequently Asked Question

My brake lights do not work, or 1 side blinker flashes faster then the other (Front or Rear)?

Answer

First check the bulbs to make sure they are good. This was a common problem on the earlier 01-05 Sport Tracs. Tilt your steering wheel up and down a little while trying the brake or directional. If the lights start working properly again, there is a wire in the column that gets stretched by the tilt and can eventually break. Have it looked at by he dealer or repair shop.

Last Updated

11/20/2007

And yes, you can fix it yourself. It is a matter of removing the cowling around the upper column and pulling the harness up so there is less strain on the connection...

It is not just a wire, it is a wiring harness that controls everything in the steering column including lights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, wipers, ignition, and starter, etc...(yes the brake light wires actually go throught the steering column.

There is also a large, multi-wire connector that can pull apart, or the wires can pull out or break.

The fix is to repair any broken wires or connections, and then insure that you pull up enough slack in the wiring harness to allow the steering wheel to tilt to the full up and down positions without putting any stress on the wires or connector.

...Rich

Scott, when you take the cowling off look for the white connector with about 5 wires going to it.(it should be on the top of the column) What happened to mine was when you lowered the wheel the white coupling would seperate, when you raised the steering wheel it would go back together and every thing worked.

This was the first thing I fixed on the ST, thanks to this web site.:cool:

About 1 year ago I had to change the complete lever on my daughters advenger. Part was like 60.00 at local parts store. Her signals were only working on one side and this fixed it. Bore putting the new one on, you could get both signals to work but on the one bad side you had to manuvor it just right at 1st and then it kept getting worse.

On Ebay they have them ranging from $38.00 to $60.00 in price.

Not sure if this is your issue but some thing to look into.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I took the cowling off and found that the multiwire connector clips were broken. Does anyone know the part number for the connector? I pulled a number off of the part (E6DB-14489-DA) but the number didn't bring anything up on Rockauto.com.

Thanks!

Latest posts