u-joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
I'm thinking I may have a u-joint going out and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best place to get them. Looked on rockauto.com and it'll be a little under $40 w/s&h included.

I've been wondering about u-joints because I haven't changed mine out in 185k miles. They don't seem to be in any trouble right now, though, so I guess I'll leave them alone.

If I never had shaft vibs. I never had them after u-joint replacement either. Dont balance unless necessary. Sorry Rodger thats my 43yrs of experiance.:)

Just had mine done and got the "Neapco Brute Force" ones from Advance Auto. $16.99 each. Didn't have the driveshaft balanced and runs fine. My old ones had 90K miles on them and the rear one had a squeek in it. When we got them out all but one joint had grease in it still. There was were my annoying squeek came from.:D;)

Stone, you chose good joints. Keep them greased they will last along time. I have put that brand through hell with my performance cars.

Fast Eddie, the ones that go to the ST, don't have grease points on them. I was bummed about that fact, but figured, since they didn't cost that much more than the regular ones, I'd get these ones. Plus the guy I had doing the work on it, said it was also a good choice.;)

The drive shaft on mine was done when I had the manual tranny rebuilt, and so I do not know whether I was just the drive shaft or the u-joints that made the ST run more quietly; or whether it was a combination of the two. What I do know is that I have much less vibration and way less rattle from the Hurst shifter.