Unique Transmission Issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ark Hoot

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

2003 XLT 4x4 Sport Trac

Earlier this week I was driving my Trac with the cruise on, running 'bout 75 MPH. Suddenly as I was on a downgrade and crossing the transition from pavement to a concrete bridge, the engine revved up as the transmission slipped. I immediately tapped the breaks, which disengaged the cruise and the rpms dropped back. As I was coasting down I hoped the transmission would re-engage, which it did not.

I coasted onto the shoulder and then tried different selections on the shifter. Here is what I observed.

When shifting to drive and trying to pull out from a stop: A definite but weak engagement, but not adequate engagement to pull forward. Slippage occurs.

When shifting to reverse and trying to pull out from a stop: A definite but weak engagement, but not adequate engagement to back up, slippage occurs.

When shifting to 1st from a stop and attempting to pull out: No problem and no slippage. Makes no difference if the OD is turned off or on.

When shifting to 2st from a stop and attempting to pull out: The Trac pulls out no problem although it is apparent it is in 2nd which means less power. No observed slippage. Makes no difference if the OD is turned off or on.

After a start from using the start from 1st or 2nd gear selection method and then shifting to drive after reaching a speed of 40 MPH or so. No problem. The problem of slipping happens when the Trac hits rough pavement.

Never has the Trac's transmission offered to slip before. Never has it suffered from slow engagement in R or D.

Any thoughts or advice?

Sounds like a valvebody/shift solenoid problem. The electric solenoids control the shifting by operating valves in the valvebody. You could have one or more weak or bad solenoids which have failed and are not directing the fluid pressure correctly. It could also be a blown gasket in the valvebody and letting fluid pressure leak and effecting some gears but not others.

I suspect that at a minimum you will need a new valvebody and probably a new solenoid pack which will run you about $500-$700

I don't know what the bump in the road would have done to cause the problem, but it may have cause some small bolt to break that triggered the symptoms?

...Rich