UPDATE! Fist fight with Ford on Monday

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Just a little background. My E-150 work van started pulling to the left on braking and a slight left drift while driving. So 4 weeks ago I took it in for an alignment. Done... The drifting went away but it still pulled to the left on breaking. I took it back, and here is what has happened so far.

From the Dealer to fix the pulling problem:

trip 1) rotors are bad, replace @$500.... nope didn't fix it...

trip 2) new pads, @$100.... nope....

trip 3) calipers are bad, @600... nope

trip 4) upper and lower balll joints,,, @$700.... DAMN,, IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what I'mA thinkin,,,, when they did the alignment 4 weeks ago, this problem with the ball joints should have been discovered, they have admitted that this was a service check they missed. I haven't paid for anything yet... 4 days of work lost because the truck in the shop. So what ammunition/suggestions can you guys give me when I go back Monday to "discuss" the bill.

It seems like they wanted me to keep throwing good money and lousy service. They should have put the old stuff back on, "I THINK" my rotors were good, had over 3/4 pad left and the calipers to me seemed to be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay for the ball joints and alignment and enjoy the other new parts. The dealer can:kiss_it: :cheeky: while you:driving:away then :haveabeer:

I would have a calm, civil discussion with either the service manager or general manager. I would tell them that they, obviously, misdiagnosed - or didn't bother to diagnose at all - and that you are a customer seeking Ford-certified service, not paying for in the job training. (Pretty much anybody with two-wrench skills can replace parts until they replace the right ones and the problem is fixed.)

For what should you pay? Well, you get to keep the new parts (whether they were needed or not), so maybe some payment toward them. I would not want to reward them for experimenting, so I would pay only for the labor associated with the remedy. Remember that the technicians get paid, in part, by the number of hours they submit for the work they do; take a little from their pocket and maybe they'll be more efficient. This will certainly get the attention of the management.

I would not be shy about the lost work due to the time they had the vehicle. This is a real cost to you and something they should consider when comparing their shop to others and how they attract new and repeat customers.

Depending on how this plays-out for you, you could contact the district representative to see what relief they might bring (they have "good faith" money for situations like this).

I think all parts but only labor on the ball joints. That looks like maybe a $500-600 difference?

If all fails with local managers. I would get the district rep involved. IMO, this is a down right proof of throwing parts. Due to incompetentcy.

If you get it settled or not. I would watch out for a mechanics lien filed against you. That is alot of $$$$ involved. I personaly would be at the place of not trusting them.

Im sure you have thought about all of this. Just hearing about it gripes my butt. Brings back memories of things I have dealt with...:angry:

LaRue,

When ever I take a vehicle in for problem, I do not pay for service that does not fix the problem.

They change the rotors, pads and calipers without diagnosing the actual problem, and they admit that they did not check the ball joints when they did the front end alignment, which is were the problem should have been caught immediately.

As Tracket Paul said, Pay for the ball joints and alignment and clearly tell them that you do not pay parts and labor charges for services that your vehicle did not require because of improper diagnosis by the dealer....especially after they admitted that they did not check the ball joints when they did the alignment...:angry:

You might want to put in writing and include it with your check set via Certified mail. You may not want to use this dealership again since they may claim a Mechanic's Lien for the unpaid services when they get your vehicle in their hands again? Of course can always pay and then take them to small claims court for the unneeded services/parts and the work you lost. You will probably win...but then you may have to take another day off work...:cry:

....Rich

LaRue,

When ever I take a vehicle in for problem, I do not pay for service that does not fix the problem.

They change the rotors, pads and calipers without diagnosing the actual problem, and they admit that they did not check the ball joints when they did the front end alignment, which is were the problem should have been caught immediately.

As Tracket Paul said, Pay for the ball joints and alignment and clearly tell them that you do not pay parts and labor charges for services that your vehicle did not require because of improper diagnosis by the dealer....especially after they admitted that they did not check the ball joints when they did the alignment...:angry:

You might want to put in writing and include it with your check set via Certified mail. You may not want to use this dealership again since they may claim a Mechanic's Lien for the unpaid services when they get your vehicle in their hands again? Of course can always pay and then take them to small claims court for the unneeded services/parts and the work you lost. You will probably win...but then you may have to take another day off work...:cry:

....Rich

These parts-changing idiots need to go to school to learn proper diagnosis techniques. Hell, if they would just read the Ford service manual they would be spoon-fed a diagnosis tree to attack the problem.

Well,,, good day... Ford only charged me for the ball joints. $565 out the door. They ate about $800.... Man, am I happy. Bunch of new parts and a working truck.....

That's great!!! :supercool: Even though they are STILL incompetent.

Latest posts