Update on my rough idle...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Well, as I posted before, my ST was idleing rough, almost like it was missing and would want to stall. It wasn't doing it at driving speed, just when I'd pull up to a stop. (all the while not giving me a engine light) Well, as luck would have it, it started to run real rough when I was driving to help my mother-in-law get home after surgery on Fri. It also finally gave me a code. I went to Advance Auto and they no longer pull the codes,:angry: so I bought a code reader for $80. It gave me the codes P0305 and P0316. They are for a "misfire" in cylinder 5. I just had the plugs changed in April and low and behold, the guy put in Bosch Platinum Plus's in there, after I told him that I had Bosch's in there and didn't want them replaced with Bosch's.:angry: Pulled the plug on Cyl 5 and there was a burn mark on the ceramic with a metalic shine showing just below the center electrode. I replaced them with Autolite Platinums and also replaced the OEM wires. The ST seems to be running like a top now. Hope I didn't jinx myself by posting this.:D;)

I went to Advance Auto and they no longer pull the codes,

That's odd, the Advance Auto stores in my area still pull codes. Did you try Auto Zone or O'Reilly? They pull codes too.

Nonetheless, glad you got her fixed!:cool:

Don't have either one of those near me. Pretty much have the choice of Advance Auto, NAPA, and one other locally owned parts place. I already knew that NAPA and the locals don't pull codes. The NAPA could only order me a code scanner, and Advance Auto had them in stock. Now when I went to get my plugs and wires, NAPA beat Advance Auto's prices by $20 for everything. I guess AA should be happy with the $80 they got out of me for the scanner. Here is a link of the scanner I got.;)