Update on the front differential vent line leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I checked the fluid. However, when I unscrewed the cap on level ground, fluid came pouring out. It did smell funny and was very dark in color. I picked up a bottle of Valvaline 80w90 and the fluid color was much a florescent yellow. I did trace the vent line and yes that is the cause of the leak. Could the front diff be over full?

The cover is not leaking nor is any seal or anything around the front diff. Im confused.

But Im still hearing a growling noise almost like 4x4 Auto is engaged at high speeds.

If the Truck was on level ground and you did not have it jacked up or any thing like that, I would say it was overfilled if the fluid came pouring out....

Let it drip till it stops and that is a good level...

I bet you have a bad hub/wheel bearing....

Todd Z

Its still dripping after 30 min. I'll wait til a slow drip and cap it. I do have to visit the dealer to pick up some bolts a focus suspension project. I'll have them peak at the bearings. I would love to work on it but I don't feel that confident. I can do oil changes, shocks, etc. But when it comes to the drivetrain, I might leave it to the dealer.

When you said before that the vent hose was leaking oil I figured that it was overfull.

The smell and color is normal, don't worry about that. I would still change it out.

I agree with Todd, check out the wheel bearings. And like I said before it also may be your tires.

Just to add something. One quick and cheap way to rule out tires is to rotate them and listen for change. I have a Volvo that my girlfriend drives after we had the tires rotated they started to make a growl sound coming from the front. And when they rotated them back. The sound also went back to normal. Bought new tires. No more growl.

Also, get a hand pump to suck out the oil to change it. That way you don't need to take the cover off. You may need to get a long skinny hose to fit down to the bottom of the diff.

From what you say I would think you have water in it. You need to drain and clean and refill with new oil. Good luck and have fun.

Bill

I do have a hand pump and a couple of extra milk jugs. I plan on swapping the tires around probably tuesday to see if the noise persists. I had a feeling the wheel bearing on the front driver was heading south.

The tires are new, but im on my third set. The Goodyear Fortera's were egg shaped on the second set. So Discount Tire swapped them with new ones for $5 per tire around 4K miles. The first set had 1 separate on me. So those were free.

To test out the bearings, I lift up the truck, turn the wheel and see to hear any metal on metal? How about ball joints or any other suspension check?

Go to see another MI member. When your coming to town lets post something and if not we can get together at some point. But a meet would be awesome!

Checking overanything and everything is never a bad idea. I wouldn't think ball joints is your problem. But strange things happen.

Problem is there is so much that it could be. Don't rule out the rear end. It may sound like the front end. But could in fact be in the rear end. Things like that are funny.

And as far as tires. I never heard anything good about Goodyear. I try to stay away from them. I had a Goodyear for a spare and when I had to use it, it was flat. It had pin holes in the sidewalls.

My family is in MI, I grew up there. I'm going to Chicago to do some training for the Navy. And I'll be going to MI when I can. I just don't know when. Sometime in the next month or 2. I'll post something when I know more info.