UPDATE: Ordered Tunes From Torrie

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
After having my ST for over four years, I'm finally going to order some custom tunes from Torrie. I guess I've kinda gone about things bass ackwards in that I've done all the other typical performance mods little by little over the years prior to getting an XCal 3 and tunes. I guess it was just easier for me to save up and buy the other mods over time, than shell out $400 for an XCal. Plus, doing it that way was much more conducive to marital harmony than a $400 (all at once) purchase for the tuner.;) I finally picked up a used, unlocked XCal 3 from member here last month, and I'm now ordering the tunes today or tomorrow. Also, my total cost for a used XCal 3 and tunes will be cheaper than $400 for a new one.:cool:

One other benefit of waiting is what I've learned about which tunes work best based on all the discussion here. This has helped me to decide on what tunes to purchase. The consensus seems to be that the economy tunes aren't really worth it, because performance is compromised too much, and improved MPG can be realized from performance tunes if you drive sensibly. And I don't tow that much anymore, so I don't see a need for a torque tune.

Since my '04 is a Flex-Fuel engine, I asked Torrie about E85 tunes, and he said that he can indeed build E85 tunes. So for my three tunes, I've decided to go with 87 performance, 93 performance, and E85 performance. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the tunes this weekend. I've got a tank full of 87 right now, so I'm anxious to see the difference a new tune yields. After I burn this tank, I'll fill up w/E85 and upload the new E85 tune and report back here on the results.

Anyone else tried an E85 tune? If so, got any feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what it was. I think mine was $389 including shipping because of some miss qoute he gave me via email. I don't remember exactly.

But yeah, don't bother with the economy tune.

E85 is supposed to be higher in octane than gasoline, so you ought to see better performance with the E85 tune.

We'll see. I'm also curious to see if an E85 performance tune will also yield better MPG, like a gas performance tune can if driven properly. E85 MPG is typically worse than gas, so I'm going to see if I can squeeze out an improvement via Torrie's tune.

I'll report back here with results after my trials.

I'll be ordering the tunes from Torrie later today.

1. 87 Performance

2. 93 Performance

3. E85 Performance

I have my used xcal3 now. The tunes from torrie waiting on my desktop. I have all the software installed on my computer. Not sure if it is the right stuff. SCT sight is confusing. One program I downloaded, said it was drivers for xcal3. It unzips and puts 2 files on my desktop for the livewire. That is the unit above the xcal3. It puts nothing in my program files. One of the programs that did install is a dump for the xcal2.

The drivers wont install. I get popups of warnings that it will corupt my system files.

I have email sct. Tried to call them. I havent had alot of time to mess with it.

So for 2 weeks here I sit without using it...:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wasn't sure which files to download either. I'm gonna call SCT tech support and give them my unit's serial number so they can tell me exactly what version of software to use.

You use live load 3 to take the .ll3 tune files from your PC and load them onto the device.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

Well, I got three tunes (87 Performance, 93 Performance, and E85 Performance) yesterday from Torrie. Talk about prompt service: I placed the order yesterday morning, and had the tunes a few hours later!:cool:

I loaded the 87P tune this evening and went for a quick test drive. Definitely an improvement in pickup and shifting. And I had to take her up over 100mph just once, to verify that the rev limiter was gone!;)

So far, things look good. I'm anxious to see the improvement in MPG.

After this tank is gone, I'll fill up w/E85 and check out the E85 tune.

Thanks a lot for the great service, Torrie!:D