UPDATE: PHOTOS :Transfer case rebuild

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well, I decided to tackle the project and re seal and gasket my transfer case. It was leaking from 4 of the 5 potential areas..LOL....

I bought a rebuild kit, seals, slides, gaskets, Ultra Grey sillycone and trans gasket.

the OEM bolts were all loose and the tranny ones were locktighted in !! took about 1.5 hours to remove in the driveway.

Spent 4 hours changing the slides, gaskets, seals and bearings. The internals looked MINT !!! like it had no miles on it. the bearings were not smooth or I would have left them alone.. I AM GLAD I changed them.....

The truck is quieter, flawless 4wd operations and no more leaks !!!! YAY !! :driving::banana:

Total cost $45 for parts, My labor and Georges, and in-law Max, and I had the new fluid. I put in OEM fluid for the next 1,000 miles to break it all in and its getting the AMSOIL i have here !!!

Thanks for letting me share !!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear everything went well with the rebuild. By chance did you and George take pictures to do a how-to thread for the projects section? Would be an awesome project.

:banana::supercool:

Todd Z,

Good Job!

Now you can start selling Zabtech rebuilt Transfer Cases...:bwahaha:

...Rich

:worthless:

Last edited by a moderator:
Always intrigued by of the the knowledge and skill level here. Of course we're talking about a leaner and meaner Todd Z. :supercool:

LOL thanks all...

I had the typical bearing noise, BUT the most important issue was it was LEAKING from the center silicone gasket.

Todd Z

Latest posts