Update: TSB - Transmission Downshift Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
If you'll recall (my original post):

I asked about the transmission downshift/tranny bump issue. He knew exactly what I was talking about and apparently they are working on getting a fix out real soon. . . .they just don't have a date yet.

Last week, I did some searching for an up-to-date TSB and came across this number for Ford:

1-866-392-3673

I was able to voice my complaints, concern, etc.

She said she would escalate my issues and I received a follow-up phone call the next day.

They had no knowledge of a new flash, but recommended I schedule a service with the same dealer. She scheduled it for me, told me said she would call the day after as a follow-up, gave me a case number and told me she would be monitoring my case.

Well, the truck is in the shop again (today). . .

When I dropped off the truck, he let me know that a new TSB came out last week for the Explorer/Sport Trac.

I did another search and found this (link below). The description doesn't explain my symptoms to a "T" but I'd be interested to see if its the one they have in line for me.

Apparently they did one last week and the customer said the truck performs better than ever with no reoccurrences so far.

I'll keep you all posted. . . hopefully this is it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical Service Bulletins

2008 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC - US (English)

08-25-3

SYNC SOFTWARE UPDATE - VARIOUS USER ISSUES

08-24-4

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)

08-24-2

VIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS - STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE - TIRE WHEEL RUNOUT AND BALANCE

08-21-11

4 WHEEL DRIVE/ALL WHEEL DRIVE - WITH CONTROL TRAC - SHUDDER ON ACCELERATION/DECELERATION OR BINDING ON SLOW TURNS

08-21-2

SYNC SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING SERVICE TIPS

08-19-6

HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL NOISE FROM THE REAR AXLE AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/28/2008

08-19-3

UNITIZED SEAL DIAGNOSIS - LEAK / GREASE OIL SEPARATION - AXLE BEARING SEAL 8.8 IFS, 8.8 IRS, AND 9.75 IRS AXLES

08-18-5

POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE - FRONT OR REAR 18 INCH WHEELS - TURNING AT SLOW SPEED BELOW 10 MPH (16KM/H)

08-17-5

WATER LEAK - DRIVERSIDE FLOORBOARD DURING RIGHT HAND TURNS OR AFTER EXTENDED DRIVING WITH A/C ON - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 7/21/2008

08-16-10

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0456

08-13-6

6R60-6R75 TRANSMISSIONS - REPLACEMENT REQUIREMENTS - JOB 1 ONLY

08-12-9

INOPERATIVE RKE TRANSMITTER (KEY FOB) - DISCHARGED KEY FOB BATTERY

08-11-6

A/C COMPRESSOR THUMP NOISE

08-11-4

SYNC - APPLE IPOD / IPHONE TURNS OFF AFTER 30-60 SECONDS

08-10-4

CHROME GRILLE - PEELING, BLISTERING OR WRINKLING

08-9-5

4.0L/4.6L - HARD START/ROUGH RUNNING - AFTER LONG HOT SOAK / DIP IN RPM WHEN COMING TO A STOP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/2/2008

08-7-6

SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS - 4.6L 3V/5.4L 3V/6.8L 3V

08-5-9

THUMPING/LOUD FLUTTER - BEHIND DASH IN DEFROST MODE - LACK OF AIRFLOW TO FLOOR - MANUAL A/C ONLY

08-5-1

SATELLITE DIGITAL AUDIO RECEIVER SYSTEM (SDARS), MAY NOT SEEK ALL SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO CHANNELS

08-4-2

COLD START FEAD HOOT - WHISTLE NOISE / BUILT BEFORE 1/28/2008

08-2-8

IMPROVED BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND FIRMNESS

08-1-3

4.0L - PCM BRACKET BUZZ/HUM NOISE FROM CENTER/RIGHT SIDE DASH AREA

07-25-10

LOOSE OUTSIDE SEAT CUSHION SHIELD - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 7/1/2007

07-25-2

TAILGATE STRIKER - NOISE/RATTLE

07-24-6

REAR BRAKE RATTLE OVER BUMPS

07-23-5

4.0L ENGINE - BLOCK HEATER LEAKS

07-5-13

DISCHARGED BATTERIES - VEHICLES IN STORAGE/LIMITED USAGE

TSBs found:27

I've experianced this drive line bump.

TSB

08-24-4 DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)

Publication Date: November 20, 2008

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer

2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac

MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-16 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 6R60 transmission may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop less than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). The following procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR / REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) / Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

Update the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.11 and higher or 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the Programmable Module Installation (PMI) function to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

NOTE: AUTHORIZATION DECAL NOT REQUIRED.

Verify that the TCM Calibration shows 8L2P-7J104-AC, (8L2P-7J104-CC for builds after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

Select the following from the IDS tool, Toolbox, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle Info, TCM Cal Part Number.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

Using IDS:

Open Toolbox.

Choose Powertrain.

Choose Reset KAM.

Then Choose TCM.

Using PDS:

Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

Scroll down the menu and Choose Reset TCM KAM.

NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM. IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RELEARNING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 F (80 C). If it is not at 175 F (80 C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175 F (80 C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

NOTE: PERFORM ADAPTIVE SHIFT STRATEGY LEARN ON LEVEL SURFACE ROAD.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.

Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.

Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least ten (10) seconds.

Repeat Steps (d-f) a total of three (3) times.

NOTE: THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING MAY BE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

082404A 2006

Interesting that the TSB states "The following procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop."

Notice it does not say this will eliminate the bump. Sounds to me like there is no way to completely eliminate it. All they are doing is trying to make it less noticeable. Does that mean they are going to have half a million F-150's with the same issue by this time next year? Better ask congress for more money. :rolleyes:

My opinion is they need to get some german experts to design a new transmission. Seems that the cars they are producing with more gears are workong out ok. Some are going past 6spd auto even.

I spoke again with my SA while they were breaking my wheel lugs yesterday about a possible fix that Ford is supposed to be working on. He said he hasn't heard anything and would make some calls and let me know.......we'll see.

Psycareyo, did you get the 08-24-4 update?

If so, any feed back?

As AdrenlnRush mentioned, this is some very useful information. . .

Next time I'm in, I may have them take a look into 08-24-2, 08-19-6, 08-17-5, 08-11-6 & 08-4-2

I've experienced these all at one time or another, but since they don't happen all the time, I didn't think to bring them up.

Thanks so much!

Well, I didn't get the truck back as expected.

I had it in for both the bump and electric fan clutch issues.

I also mentioned that I'd like them to take a look at the SYNC. A couple of months ago there was an update on the site that required a technician. The night before I went to download the page that indicated such and it no longer gave me the notification. I asked them to take a look at it just to make sure I had everything up to date. He asked me if I had any problems & I told him that every once in a while my phone didn't auto connect, so he said he'd look into it . . . IMO, no biggie.

I dropped it off @ 7:00 and when I didn't hear anything @ 3:00, I called. Apparently they had to order a replacement part for the radio and it would be a few days before it was in. The thing that bugged me was that they didn't even inform me that they would do such and that I'd be without the truck for a few days. . . . when were they going to tell me? I received not one phone call! They did give me a F150 rental and said they would absorb the cost do to the fact that "it isn't your fault" and since I had "been inconvenienced."

Anyways, enough of my rants.

My point is that it looks like it will be a few days at the very least before I will find out if the TCM update will do any good . . . . my guess is though that its the 08-24-4 TSB that I'll be getting

I'll keep you all posted and I'll also post my invoice for those who are curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
KPC,

When I took delivery of my STA this had already been done.

I now have 4,100 miles on it and it shifts perfectly and doesn't bump when downshifting.

Honestly, a lot of that stopped (not completely) when I installed the 87 Performance tune from Torrie.

I'm worried that when I disconnect the battery to install my used Zabteck Throttle Body this week, It's going to start acting up all over again.

The initial tranny bump didn't start happen to mine until around 7K miles. I have to go thru my notes from summer '07, but the dealer replaced both the tranny & transfer case (for another issue), it went around another 7K miles when it (the bump) happened again, though now, not nearly as bad.

Lyon...

Mine (tranny bump) started around 8K as well.

I agree, I have 27k now and it's not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning. I does still happen once in a while, but better.

I've noticed this time, like the first time, if I'm stopping facing down-hill, it NEVER bumps. Not sure about facing up-hill. I'll have to monitor up-hill more. Does this mean anything, or am I just reaching? Anyone else experience this?

Calling out for the experts . . .

I got the truck back today!

The radio part is going to take 7 working days, so I'll have to take it back up at some time or another.

Honestly, I'm not really concerned. I'll eventually be getting an aftermarket radio, so the issue will be null.

Sure enough, it was the 08-24-4 TSB for the TCM.

So far so good, not even a slight bump. . . I've only driven it a few miles to the house and immediately put Zabteck's CAI/MAF back on without disconnecting the battery this time. Here's hoping the bump is gone. Either way DesertFox '07, keep us posted if you hear anything.

As far as the down-hill/up-hill is concerned; I live in Houston, so I couldn't begin to give you any feed back :D

I thought the performance tunes from Torrie would help, I just haven't bitten the bullet and made the purchase.

Actually I'm waiting until the first of the year, when the SCT Touchscreen Xtreme is available.

Most people on this site are advising me to not waste my money, but my tax return will cover most or all of the cost. Personally, I'll pay the extra $ for the interface, features, etc. Especially since it won't be an out-of-pocket cost.

The TB is on my list for Santa so I'm trying to be extra nice to the parents & gf :D