Upgraded Drivetrain? Gen1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
So I am looking for information on what is out there for Gen 1's to upgrade the drivetrain front and rear axles. I have a set of 35's coming and I am sure it will put some wear and tear on my drivetrain. Is there any upgrades that can be made to the CV axles, gears or locker, transfer case and or transmission? I already have a SCT x3, so I know I will need to get that changed for the bigger wheels/tires. What is out there for us?> What would you recommend?> Being my truck is at 186k and haven't had to do much to it in this area, I feel it is the time to finally do it.

Thanks

It depends on what you want it to do. 35" tires are serious, but most I see are on vehicles that are spotless.

If this is for show, I'd do whatever is needed to have the new tires fit and re-gear the differentials to help preserve the older engine and transmission, and leave it. This will reduce much of the stress of moving those heavy tires, particularly on inclines, which will reduce the need for down-shifting. You might consider a new torque converter to induce more torque for acceleration from stop (a reputable transmission shop can work with you to determine the appropriate stall speed for your setup).

If the intent is for (serious) off-road use, what type - rock crawling, pre-running, back country driving, access to remote areas? Ideally, these would have different suspension setups (springs, shocks, anti-sway bars), a torque converter and maybe some form of locking differential.

Differentials come in several varieties - open, limited slip, selectable locking (electric, pneumatic, manual) and full-time locking. My preference is open with selectable locker because it provides the tracking of an open differential for on ice and snow with the full lock for off-road dirt and mud. A second would be open in front with limited slip in back with selectable lockers front and rear, or perhaps only in back.

Mainly the truck will just be driven on the street with maybe touch of dirt at times. I am sure it will need a torque converter on. I was also thinking open with a select-able locker and change out the gears for 4.10. I believe I have the 3.73 setup.

Which name brand(s) do you like?>

Wheels just showed up today.... waiting on tires.

For the amount of off-road driving you plan ("a touch"), I would not invest in lockers; just not needed.

Keep in mind that locking differentials are meant for off-road use where the terrain is loose (dirt, mud, sand, etc.) and the wheels can spin. They typically have poor manners on-road - increased wear, tire chirping and induced steering when used on front without locking hubs.

Selectable lockers lock 100% and shouldn't be used on the street EDIT: when locked. Full-time lockers (e.g. Detroit) ratchet in turns to compensate for the radius difference, but can be noisy and still not good on ice and snow as they cause both wheels to spin if either loses traction (as does the limited slip).

<a href="http://www.eatoncorp.com.au/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/index.htm" target="_blank">Eaton Differentials and Traction Control</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IA9DVnkIaI" target="_blank">StreetlegalTV.com - Eatons Posi, TrueTrac, ELocker, Detroit</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. Will just adjust the SCT X3 for the time being. Maybe get a trans flush. With the amount of miles of 186k, maybe wait for awhile before doing any trans work.

Latest posts