Upper Ball Joint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Pearce

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm new to the site although I have been following the Sport Trac Board for over a year now.

I have learned quite a bit about my ST from this site.

The question I have for everyone is about an upper balljoint for my '01 ST.

The passenger side balljoint needs to be replaced. After checking both sides I noticed that on the passenger side the control arm comes in two pieces. I assume that the piece with the balljoint is used for allignment purposes. The drivers side does not have this, the control arm is one piece with the balljoint attached.

The balljoint I received from the Ford dealer is a one piece assembly which looks like the drivers side control arm. When I questioned the parts dept. they told me that the passenger side control arm has been changed to match the drivers side.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I refuse to change the balljoint until I get a second opinion and this seems to be the best place to get it.

Sorry if the message was too long.

Jeff

I just had the uppers and lowers done on both sides of my 01 ST. They are Moog with greasable fittings. The passenger side was the bad one on mine but I went ahead and did all of it. Control arms and the ball joints. The passenger control arm IS adjustable and cost more to replace than the drivers side. At least the one I used was. I spent around $300 to have my mechanic replace everything including parts and labor using the MOOG parts.

From what I understand, the adjustable one was recommended, at least by my mechanic.

Hope this helps.

I to have MOOG joints on both side upper and lowers. I did both pieces with MOOG parts on the passanger upper and had the shop replace some dust seals. I spent about 500 including labor and wheel alignment afterwords. Make sure you get the alignment done if you do the uppers.

But I would not go with motorcraft ballpoints. MOOG are grease able motorcrafts are not. Michigan roads are the worst in the nation and I got 62K miles on originals. But I decided to do them all since everything was torn down anyways.