Upper/Lower Thermostat Housing Replacement Project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
While browsing a Mustang site, I found a link to a very well written, detailed project on replacing the upper/lower t-stat housing and t-stat on the Vulcan 4.0L SOHC V6.

Figured many here would find it useful.

Site Admins: Any way to either link to this in the "Projects" or "Links" section? It would be nice to have a permanent link to this project here on MyST.com.

Andy, he states it can not be linked to or copied without his permission....

Feel like asking him, Then we can copy it and add it to the projects section.... :D:banana:

Todd Z

The reason he recommends the sensors is the old ones usually don't fit back into the new housing. Every time I've sold that housing and the customer didn't replace the sensors, they had to come back to get them.

The reason you have to replace the sensors is that the o-rings don't dont seal when you put them back in the new housing and Ford DOES NOT HAVE A PART LISTING FOR THE O-RING...YOU HAVE TO BUY THE SENSOR TO GET THE O-RING, or like I have done countless times is just get an 0-ring out of an assortment kit and save the 30 some odd dollars per sensor.

Yeah.. What l1tech said.. I just had mine changed out about 3 months back. PITA figuring out what was going on. Went through two t stats, a radiator cap, and a lot of antifreeze...LOL. Would have been nice to have this project. The top's easy to get to and get off, it's the bottom housing that's tough.