upset

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie nicoll

Reaction score
yesterday i reserved a car trailer soi could tow my grand am i just gave my daughter- found out uhaul will not let me rent it- said no explorers at all- i did not know this - when i went to buy my truck i let them know i would be towing vehicles- i have looked on websites that said st 2004 failed 7/12 for rollovers- now iam very concerned i have a 8 month old - need to tow a car to carlisle pa in july- now i dont even know if i want to keep the truck

This was a HUGE topic about a year ago here. To the point that law suits were created.

There was a link on the home page as well. Do a search with "U-haul" and you will get more than you care to read about it.

What many did was rent the trailer using a different vehicle, then used their Trac....

Wounder if they will rent to the new 07 owners?????

Todd Z

I towed a Ford Contour on a tow dolly (1/2 of a car carrier that only carries the front wheels) from Houston to Knoxville (about 1,000 miles) with my Sport Trac with no problems. Even a nail in a tire didn't cause any more drama than a loose feeling in the back as I continued through a freeway interchange until I could get it stopped and fixed. As long as you stay within the rated tow limits, you should be fine. Adding a regular tow hitch to your Trac will help as well instead of using a trailer ball in the bumper like I did. And everyone else will rent to us without a problem. Go find a different rental agency.

The problem with the Explorers was more related to overloading and low tire pressure. I don't think I remember a single Explorer accident where the Explorer in question wasn't both overloaded AND had low tire pressure. Keep good tires on it (I like Michelins), check the inflation regularly, keep it maintained, and it will work just fine. Some here will add that you should change the shocks and add a stronger rear sway bar to improve handling. The factory shocks are pretty limp to make it ride soft, but better shocks will give better control. If it's a 2004 it probably needs new shocks by now anyway.

We have 96,000 miles on our 2003. It runs fine. I wouldn't have a problem jumping in and heading to Knoxville right now.

my 2004 only has 19,000 miles on it- i bought it in oct- the only real problem i had was the inertia switch and the fuel pump- was driving lost all power- checl engine light came on- needless to say it was a friday night- lovely trip to ford on flatbed and received the truck back on tuesday. because after they put in the pump it still wouldnt start- to say the least i wasnt a happy person- low miles and already a issue. the truck is certified through ford- they paided for everything- even though they tryed to bag me for a rental- i was like i think not- u pay for my rental my trucks under warranty- so i went purposely without my c.c. and got a rental which the manager of ford but under the ford dealer- they must thinkiam stupid cause iam a woman- proved them wrong i did !!!!:rolleyes::p

As previously stated, U-Haul will not rent trailers to be towed by Explorers.

If you look in your phone book, try to locate businesses that Sell, Manufacture, Or repair trailers. They will often rent trailers at a nominal cost. Most have small utility trailers, car haulers, and horse/livestock trailers.

...Rich

ty richard- as i previously stated iam a new st owner and did not know about this u-haul crap- and iam buying my own trailer :)

IIRC, U-Haul lost a lawsuit that they honestly should have won. From what I remember, some people rented a U-Haul trailer and wrecked it. I think people were killed in the accident. I do remember that were speeding and intoxicated...if only they would have arrested them for PI before they were drove.

U-Haul should have won, but U-Haul lost the case. So, from now on, U-Haul no longer rents to Explorer's. A Mazda Navajo and Mercury Mountineer is OK, but an Explorer isn't. A Suzuki Samuri is OK, even though it would roll over if you leaned on it. Same with a Chevy S10 Blazer.

It is not about safety.

Tom

vernoica just called me to apologize and to issue me 20.00 certificate to use at u-haul whenever i want- ha- maybe for boxes when i move, i think them singleing out the explorer is a bunch of crap- the explorer was not a sporttrac- and told her the the new sporttrac is gonna prolly be more popular than any one that comes out- and they are losing money not renting to us. I would have been happier her issueing me a gas card since she wasted 2 hrs of my time and filling up to trucks when mine just went back home to relax in the driveway- idiots i swear- thank you to everyone who commented and as soon as i can upload pics of my toy i will add them here- Marie

I wouldn't get into a U-haul if it were free. Those things are deathtraps, and the company and their service and policies are a joke.

Add to that the Explorer thing, and I don't go near them. I don't know how they are in other cities, but here in NYC they're awful.