Upshifting after passing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
My ST has done this twice now...

When passing, and the tranny downshifts under hard acceleration, (OK, flooring it) it is sluggish to upshift even when you let up on the gas. The RPM's are hovering between 5200 and 5600, and after a few seconds, it finally does upshift.

I tried to recreate it on the open road, but it worked fine when I did.

Both times it happened, the ST was fully warmed up. (Driving for over 15 minutes)

No CEL's, and it shifts fine normally. (No 2-3 flair either)

I havent changed the Transmission fluid in 25K miles, but it is clean and does not smell burnt.

I am going to change the fluid/filter first, but any other ideas?

Sounds like sticking solenoid in the valvebody. I would get a shop to look at it anyway. It doesnt take much slipping and our trannys dont last long.

Dave, one thing you can do is spend the money on an xcal, your choice of a two or three. It will help on performance and gas milage. You can also change the way it shifts.

The changing is determined by speed, pressure of the fluid, peddle placement. Other things included are, wind speed or pressure on the front of the vehicle, resistance on the tires on the highway material. If you are not having a problem other than a few times passing, not to worry. Slippage is when the transmission seems to gain a few rpm before it changes, IE. when it starts to change you can hear and feel it change 200 to 500 rpm and it doesn't change.. JUst my opinion. _Ron

My '04 shifts promtly at 5600 rpm at full throttle. No hesitation. I Still say if it does it again. Have it looked at. May still be valve body. You have an '01. Some did have solenoid and valve body problems. Our trans missions are shifted by electronic solenoids on the valvebody from the programing in the ECM. Gone are the days of mechanical TV cable or lever driven pressure regulation.