Used Oil Analysis

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Haven't figured out how to post the UOA yet, might have to just scan it, but I just got one back from Blackstone Labs on the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 that I ran for 7500 miles and it is awesomely good.

With todays engine designs and filter designs, motor oils can last a lot longer then in the past. With todays Economy, thats what I want, is more use out of my stuff.

EddieS'04 said:
Johnny, Do you think the pen-plat oil would push to 10k?

Probably. The iron was lower here at 7500 miles than it was with Mobil 1 at 6500. I would get a UOA at 7500 first though if I were you. Either change the filter and add a quart at 5000 miles or use a Mobil 1 or K&N filter if you want to run it for 10k.

Patrick said:
How much does an oil analysis cost anyways?

$25, Blackstone Labs. This is why I don't do it at every oil change. :haveabeer:

Once a year is good just to make sure everything is ok. Another upside is that it will detect a leaking head gasket before it causes damage. Coolant will be detected in the oil.

I had to print and scan it because it's a PDF file, uploading here wouldn't make it smaller, so just click on the link. -----V

In fairness, the higher iron with Mobil 1 may be partly explained by the fact that it was in over the winter and I made a lot of short trips. OLM went off at 6 months because I hadn't hit 7500 miles yet. I don't put on a lot of miles over the winter. On balance, I've tested several oils in the assorted 4.0 SOHC Fords I've owned and Pennzoil Platinum always comes out the best. Costs a bit less than Mobil 1 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that's great for Penzoil what does it cost a liter?

I work at a cab company in the repair shop and we use Amsoil 5W30 in our cabs. Cabs change oil at 25000KM some of the bosses run their oil for 40000KM.

Johnny,

Your report looks better than mine. You are the second person I know that got good results, with Pen-Plat oil.

I used castrol gtx full syn. With a k&n. For 10k. A new filter at 5K.

Blackstone gave me a good report, last month. The one thing they did say was. Some finding. I needed to Change my air filter. Otherwise the tech said, keep doing what Im doing and no need for a 5k filter change.

I have a k&n conical. I know didnt oil it good enough on that service. I still need to pull it and re-do. If that doesnt help. I will go back to the oem box and my panel k&n filter.

If I can find the report I will post it.

I have one more castrol change in the garage. Caught one of those advance $27 sales. Oil and K&n. Im thinking of stepping back to 8K oil change. Then go with pen-plat. After I use what I have stored.

Every time I've compared Pennzoil Platinum against Mobil 1 in one of my family's vehicles, the Pennzoil always came out better (not that M1 was bad). Most of the time it is cheaper too. It ought to be good for 10k in many applications. I'll probably stick to 7500. I run a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter, they have synthetic media which should last longer than paper media in a regular filter (i.e. Motorcraft). If you want to run the oil longer with regular filters then I would do like Eddie does and change the filter at 5k and add a quart.