Using o/d switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS Saia

Reaction score
Does anybody know if turning off the O/D to slow down on the off-ramp can damage my so fragile 2001 tranny? I've got 100k miles and it runs o.k so far.

Thanks

I've read hear that taking off o/d while city driving is a good idea. So why not use it to slow down like when using a stick shift? Is that not a good thing?

Using it like an engine brake.......

To me I look at it as slow down before the hill and to me it is cheaper to replace $30.00 brake pads rather than a $2,000 transmission...

Todd Z

Got it !

How about using a $20 synthtic tranny tune-up, anti-slip, anti-leak in a can. Good or Bad ? I've got 100k miles on my ST and after reading posts on this site, I've been expecting my tranny to break down any day. I know many don't make it to 100k, but has anyone gone problem free for over 100k?

My brother has 155,000 on his 1999 Explorer. He is the second owner, but it runs great.

As for the "Performance" lubricants, they are scams and should be avoided...IMO.

Tom

J-S,

I had over 120k on my 2001 sport trac's tranny when i traded it in 2 months ago. I didnt have any real problems, i did the epc presure adjust and it made the old tranny shift like new...The only thing i can say about the tranny additives is that they may adversely affect the 5r55e (St tranny)...I would just change the filter and fluid and replace with motorcraft mercon v...nothing else....

Hope this helps

Andy

We have about 104,000 miles on our Trac with the original trans. I just drained the pan and refilled it with 3-1/2 quarts of Pennzoil Mercon V, which seems to have put me just over the hatched area. Also, with the recent time spent in the body shop, and with a new battery, it is now relearning our driving styles. The trans. shifts fine most of the time, but I have noticed an occasional lag of 1 second or so in the 2-3 shift. Maybe I'll have to do that EPC adjustment thing, too.

By the time you have slowed to exit the highway you probably have already dropped out of over drive. I don't think that the engine braking would be even noticeable. I'd use the brakes rather than the tranny as others have suggested.

Save your $20 and invest in a tranny fluid flush every 25K miles and you will have spent your money more wisely. You can get your transmisison fluid flushed and replaced with 100% synthetic Mercon-V compatible fluid for $85 to $120. I get mine done for $85 but some here have paid $120.

...Rich

I was going to post this question tonight. I'm glade that I checked this post. Is it good to have the tranny service every 30k? I always wonder if a lot of this stuff is overkill.