Utility Trailer Size Recommendations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a utility trailer for my motorcycle and for my cross country move.

The majority of my stuff will be moved by a moving service however our important stuff we plan to move in this trailer. So I'm wondering how big I can go and not have any problems or put too much strain on the ST.

I've already got a class 3 hitch installed. So I guess I can tow up to around 4k lbs with the ST without any issues right?

So should I be looking for a 5x8, 6x10, or 6x12? Any recommendations?

I think that the 6x10 would be a suitable size. Gives you an extra foot in width over the other size, and is still a single axle trailer. I assume that it is an enclosed trailer, right? I have pulled each of those sizes with my gen 1 and the 6x10 was about the most useful. The 6x12 was a UHaul one (back before the ban). They all pull nice.

with that much weight, get a trailer w/ surge brakes, and go for the longest tongue length you can get...... it'll tow batter and be easier to back up..... tandem axles will tow smoother, with less bounce. ... jmho

JD,

I would avoid Surge Brakes. With surge brakes, there is no way to control your trailer if it goes wild on you. Tandem axles will provide a greater margin of safety if you have a tire blowout.

I do recomend a weight distribution hitch, though not required, to tow your load better and minimize sway.

The length of a trailer is not as important as the size of the frontal area. Breaking the wind is the hardest part when towing a vehicle. Once the wind is broke, length isn't that important.

Make sure you buy a trailer that you will not outgrow quickly. Once you have a trailer, you can not imagine not having one. Don't buy the perfect fit now only to find out it is just too small for anything else.

Tom