V8 spark plug analysis

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSondra Grossen

Reaction score
After reading Dingo's post about the V8 spark plug removal issue, I was interested in what exactly was better with the Champion plug. I know they are called a one piece design, but wanted to find out for myself how it was better than the Motorcraft Plug. So I invested in one Motorcraft plug, and one Champion plug, and cut them open to see what the difference is. See the pictures below, I think it is pretty clear why the Motorcraft plug is twisting off.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Intresting that motorcraft hasnt picke up on this flaw. Is this the case with all 4.6L or only the 3 valve?

Wow between Dingo's report and your physical exam ,its clear how Ford once again demonstrates how cluess they are when it comes to a simple thing like spark plug design.:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fast Eddie - the 3v, the 5.4L Triton (F150 engine) has this issue as well.

Wow between Dingo's report and your physical exam ,its clear how Ford once again demonstrates how cluess they are when it comes to a simple thing like spark plug design.

For the record, that was a non-union worker designing those plugs.

Tom

Adrian... Ford didn't design them. Autolite did.

Also, while I'm at it, your item... Not really possible without a bunch of money. If you want it back, I'll send it, and if not, post to sell it, and I'll ship it to a buyer for you.

Hey- does NGK make plugs for this application? I'd think they would be really good.

NGK plugs work best in my John Deere (kawasaki engine built in USA).