V8 swap???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few have claimed to have done it, but no pics have surfaced so far.

It can be done, but it isn't a direct bolt in. The actual physical fitting isn't terribly difficult, clearancing of the firewall is needed, along with new motor mounts, special headers are typically needed, new radiator, transmission; again, nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected. The worst part is the wiring, that's the headache.

Check up on a few Ranger sites as they usually have a wealth of information as it's a much more common swap for that vehicle.

there was a member... TonkaTrac that fit a small chevy v8 in his... with some pics and a youtube video.... looked sweet... shortly after doing the mod he became less active

I would be looking at useing a 5.0 or a 4.6. Something that was used in the Explorers. I figured if I get ahold of a V8 Explorer donner car I would pretty much have most of everything thing that I would need for the swap.

Let's not forget that putting a n older carburated engine in a late model, polution controlled, highway driven vehicle is ilegal in most states. That Sport Trac would never pass any state with manditory emissions testing even if the tail pipe was clean as a whistle. As soon as they checked the ECM, if it even has one, the vehicle would fail.

I'm sure there are a lot of smaller shorter, narrower V8's that can be shoe-horned into the Sport Trac, but the new enigne will have to meet all the emission laws of the state, and that will require that all the sensor be operational, and that the ECM match the VIN of the vehicle. That involves a custom wiring harness and ECM.

If your state does not require annual emmissions certification, than go for it.

...Rich

Wonder if it's cheaper and easier to supercharge or turbo charge the 4.0L instead. Can't say much for fuel economy on the 4.0. Always thought they sucked.

Swap is not worth the effort oem to oem the H.P is about the same as a 2000 5 liter.

03 4.6 has 240 Crank, you can easily get that without forced induction.That engine will no way fit a gen 1.

dreman,

The inner fenders are considerably different than a Ranger.

They would need to be modified to fit most V8's...

Have been alot of 302 swaps into rangers, the 4.6 (281 C.I) is demensionally a far larger engine, matter of fact the 4.6 is much larger than a SOHC 427.

Don't think a 4.6 could be done.

Hey guys I am getting ready to send my frame off to powdercoating .. should have some better pics soon. Full custom square tube frame .. The 302 is all ready to go, just waiting on the painter to spray the block and then assemble all the billet & chrome. I hear from a buddy that does inspection here in TX he says as long as you have all the cats and they dyno it that it will pass... I am not depending on that though, if it does it's a +..

Psycareyo may be right in that it may be cheaper and easier to just drop in a super charger like the one EE sells, once you factor in all the time and money expended for a V8 swap. Plus, it comes with a warranty and custom tunes from our site sponsor Bamachips. They estimate 6-10 hours of labor, so if you're mechanically inclined, this could be done as a weekend project.

EE Supercharger: $4,395.95

[Broken External Image]:

A 4.6 will fit, but it is a considerably more difficult task then the "simple" 302. Heck, go with a 351W while you're at it, if emission laws allow, which most of the time they don't.

I have a customer that is having it done here on the Island.....

If I remember to call him tonight, I can ask how it is going...

Todd Z

the supercharger to do it right would require more than just bolting it on... ull blow something if u dont change the gears, and reenforce the block...

im sure theres more that needs to be done, i look into it earlier decided to go with tunes and nitrous one i get the money

found a turbo for a v6 mustang that im looking into... but unsure of... but once again im sure there will be much more than just hooking it up...

Latest posts