Vacuum Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge Dagang

Reaction score
Hello,

My 'check engine' light came on and during stops, my ST felt like it was going to stall. The mechanic said it had a vacuum leak and got codes of PO171 and PO174. He showed me the 'Crankcase Ventilation Valve Tube' and it had a rip on one of the soft ends. He replaced the part, but now my ST completely stalled 3 times (it never stalled before the replacement). It stalled at a stop light, during a slow turn and when coming to stop on my driveway.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If it's not a vacuum leak, what could it be? Thanks!

Howdy welcome to the site !!!

Try disconnecting your battery for 15 mins to reset your computer. then drive it a bit. see if that helps. I replace my 'Crankcase Ventilation Valve Tube' , although I didn't know it was called that, and I had to reset it.

Also did you clean your IAC ?? There is a project listed that show you how and it's real easy to do. It has a lot to do with your idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cajun,

Thanks, I'm glad to have found the site.

I disconnected the battery and all seems to be OK so far. I'm going to work on the IAC project too.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.

Latest posts