Valve Body Gasket - 2/3 Transmission Flair - Project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have photos/writeup of changing their valve body gasket?

It seems like so many of us are having the 2/3 flair issue that we could really make good use of a write up on this in the projects section.

I'll be doing mine within the next few months so if I get to it first, then I'll post what mine looked like.

It's my understanding that this is pretty much taking care of the problem. (either just the VB gasket or the "update" I'm not 100% clear on it myself yet)

Good Luck!

Justin, the gasket issue seemed to be limited to the 2001 transmission, since you have a 2002 you may not be effected, but your ST could be an early 2002.....

There is no project on doing it...

The issue is part design and part junky shift solenoids, and stupid programing.

Ford sets the tranny to slip and not lock up firm so the shifts are soft and they don't get driver complaints....

On the other hand, that creates heat and will damage the tranny....

The solenoids are attacked by the fluid, they are a junky design and the new updated pack helps fix the problem....

It doesn't make the tranny hold 500+ HP, but it keeps it going.....

Regular fluid changes also keeps the solenoids from being coroded....

Todd Z

Dunerunner, are you saying that you fixed your issue? (since you said you "had" the issue)

If so what all did you do? The solenoid update pack and the VB gasket as Todd mentioned or just gasket?

Todd is essentially correct.

Replacing the VB gasket is not the real solution to the problem. The problem is that the VB gasket surface is not perfectly flat and the gasket cannot compensate for the irregularities in the mating surfaces. It's possble to flatten the mating surface of the VB by hand lapping the mating surface on a piece of 320 sandpaper on a flat piece of glass or marble. When you see an even sanding pattern across the entire mating surface, then you can clean it and install it using a new gasket.

Another trick is to use a small dab of vaseline to hold the small check-balls in place while you install the VB. Make sure you put all the check-balls and springs back in the proper locations before installing the VB

Good Luck,

...Rich