Valves and sensor questions (EGR, DSS, DPFE)...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveDeep 07

Reaction score
Ok, I have been online and looking around at sensor and valve replacements and such for Sport Trac's as well as Explorer Sport's (Same engine as ST). This is what I found:

EGR Valve

DPFE Sensor

DSS (Differential Speed Sensor)

What do each of these valves/sensors do and when do they need to be replaced? With my ST being a 2002 model, do these valves/sensors sacrifice HP/MPG's? Also, how do I tell if mine is a Job 1 or Job 2? :rolleyes:

Thanks, DD ST

Plain and simple...

No Check engine light on (CEL) No need to replace...

EGR Valve = Exhaust gas Recirculation , IT takes exhaust gasses and recirculates it into the intake so the engine combustion temps are lower and this helps emissions and timing and other things, BUT it is known to cause a dirty intake..

DPFE Sensor Deferential pressure sensor , this measures the difference in pressure across the venturi in the egr system. That difference in pressure tells the sensor there is a flow occurring or the rate of flow.

DSS (Differential Speed Sensor) This is the ABS sensor located on the top of the rear end of the truck.. USED for the ABS.....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Job 1 and Job 2 only refer to 2001 'Tracs. Job 1 was the tracks that came out in 2000 and job 1 came out at the end of 2000. With you having a 2002, the configeration would match that of a 2001 'Trac job 2.

Hope this helps

Bob