Valves rattling?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Fomby

Reaction score
I have an '07 Limited V8 and I have noticed that when I am running the A/C at highway speeds, any additional acceleration, like climbing a hill, causes a lot of rattling. I can only assume it is valve rattle and I know that a little rattle is normal but this is not a little rattle. It is very noticable. If anyone has any ideas about what might be going on, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Greg

Could be bad gas or pinging.....

Try a tank of the next higher gas grade....

Todd Z

We had one '07 member that had such bad rattle. They had to replace his motor. Dont remember who.

I think it was Pat Freeman in his '07 Dark Cherry Limited one. I believe he no longer has that one, as he took his dads '07 orange Trac after his dads accident...

Mine makes the same rattling noises at startup. Has been into the dealer many times and documented for it, however they say that it is normal operation. It just sounds like a diesel sitting in my driveway for the first 60 seconds at startup... 200 miles to go on the warranty... With my luck by next week, something will go wrong internally because of it lol...

Try a tank of the next higher gas grade....

Not a very nice thing to say to someone in this day!! lol :lol:

The modular 3 valve v8 engines make far more noise than what most are used to.

What your hearing are most likly the injectors, as the pulse they make a very audible rattle type noise.

Thanks guys.

I think I will try the middle grade gas and see if it helps. This will be my second summer with this ST and I just don't think it made the same noise last year.

I think I might schedule a service visit just to get it documented.

If anyone esle has any ideas, give me a shout.

Thanks again,

Greg

Yes, I had a severe knocking. It sounded like a very loud diesel, almost like sitting next to an old teletype machine on a news floor. It was bad. They replaced the engine and during the last Louisville meet, the engineers said it was a bottom end problem. I still have my red 07 and will probably not take my dad's orange 07 right now. I have too many things installed in mine that it would take a lot of time and money to do the swap. I told dad he can put his up for sale.

Latest posts