Valvoline vs. Mobil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Chong

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are a lot of differences between Valvoline Full Synthetic Oil vs the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil. Currently Wal-Mart in Calgary has Valvoline on sale for about CDN $23. That is about $15 cheaper then Mobil 1 when it is on sale. Has anyone tried both and really notice no difference between the two or lab tested and notice no difference as well?

Obviously if I can save $15, that would be awesome!.

Thanks.

IMO...I think it is personal preference. If the oil meets the manufactures specs, use it. I ran valvoline blend in two cars in the past. Regular oil changes, never had a failure. Valvoline is good oil and I ran it because of price. Debating on using it again. Around here the motorcraft blend is cheaper though.

I agree will Fast Eddie,

If it meets the specs and is API certified, there is not enough difference too argue about.

I use Mobil-1 5W-20 in both my vehicles and have no complaints. If I spent more money for something more exotic, I doubt that I could tell the difference. :wacko:

...Rich

I also agree... Use Valvoline full syn in my 02 trac -- all hiway driving -- and i change about every 7500 miles and the oil still looks o.k.. I ran Mobil 1 full syn in my wifes 300M -- and that ran o.k. Just a matter of personal preference -- i have always been a valvoline guy...but both are good oils.

I got slightly better MPG with Valvoline than I did with Mobil 1 but not enough to make a claim that there is really a significant difference. Any of the major brand oils dino, blend or syn will protect your engine just fine if you follow the recommended change schedule for your driving conditions. If you want to extend change interval then you do need to use a blend of full syn. Right now I'm using Motorcraft blend and am getting the same MPG as I got with Valvoline Syn.

AFAIK, only Mobil 1 and Amsoil are true PAO synthetics. Royal Purple I'm not sure of. PAO means it has a true synthetic base stock made from gases. Other synthetic oils actually use a highly refined dino base stock oil (Group IV) with synthetic additives. Exxon/Mobil sued Castrol and others for marketing this as "synthetic oil", but they lost. All that said, the synthetics from Valvoline, Castrol, Havoline, etc., are perfectly fine stuff to use, but a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $19.96 is a tough deal to beat.

Personally I don't like ScAmsoil simply because of the high price, multi-level marketing sales style, and claims that it will cure everything from poor mpg to dandruff, gout, and lombago.

("I was blind until I drank some Amsoil 10w-30, and now I see!!! Thank you jaysus, thank you Amsoil, thank you lawd!!! Praise heeyum!!!")

I don't see any proof that Mobil1 is the 'best'. I buy it because it is widely available, relatively cheap (when you buy the 5 qt jug), and is backed by a large corporation.

I wouldn't trust a small company like Royal Purple or Amsoil to replace my engine should something fail that was related to the oil.

Every oil manufacturer claims their's is the Best and has a NASCAR driver to tell you so. Fact is, under normal conditions, if you follow the recommended change interval, you will never have an oil related engine failure. Just doesn't happen. Parts break, but oil never fails to lube if it gets to where it's supposed to go. Motorcraft blend is as good as the syns but only costs half as much, so , it's even better the the Best making it the BESTEST.

If in doubt, you can check the Used Oil Analysis forum at Bob Is The Oil Guy.com. People get lab tests and post the results on all different vehicles and oils. I have two from the 4.0 SOHC in my old Ranger. The tests tend to lean toward the premium oils, I mean who runs cheap stuff and then springs for a UOA anyway? Or cares to belong to an oil-nut site? :lol:

Mobil 1 and Motorcraft show very good results in everything. IMHO if you change every 3 to 5000 miles it doesn't matter a lot what you use. But a lot of us care about our vehicles and want something "better" or "best" or we wouldn't be here in the first place. ;)

My dad runs Mobil1 in his cars, so what. The first was a 83 crapstler lebaron GTS 2.2 turbo. He put 314,000 miles on it and never had any engine problems and the turbo felt just as strong as the day he brought it home. It still ran when he traded it in on a 91 V6 3.3 lebaron i think. He is still driveing it today with close to 300,000 on this one. He has gone through 3 transmissions but the engine is still good. He changes about every 10,000mi and has been known to go a little more from time to time. I use Mobil1 now if it can make a peice of junk like those last that long it must be something good about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts