Vexing problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
Trac has always fired on the first crank, 03 45K miles, bout a month ago it all of a sudden started cranking 7/8 times to start.

On Todds recomendation, turn the key on and off a few times and see if she fires, that worked.He suggested a new fuel filter.

So today I clean the MAF, Clean the TB, clean the IAC, install new filter,seafoamed, checked all hoses and vac lines, No love.

Is still doing the same.

No Cel, no codes, Runs great, am thinking maybe one can clean the IAC only so many times or, will admit to running the tank low in these times, maybe the fuel pump?

Your thoughts?

I agree. Sounds like the fuel pump may not be going quick enough to build up the pressure. I know there is a way of checking it, but I don't think it's an easy way. I'm not at home right now to access my DVD to give you the specifics. Hope someone can give you the rundown.;)

The fuel pump has a built in one way check valve that is supposed to prevent fuel from flowing back to the tank when the key is turned off, thus aiding in starting and also helping to prevent vapor lock in the fuel line. When the check valve goes bad or gets stuck the fuel pressure bleeds off and thus it takes longer to start. You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail, you should see your pressure hold steady after the key is turned and sometimes even increase due to heat, I think any loss over 10-15 psi in a 20 minute period is cause for concern but it sounds as if yours is bleeding off completely. This doesn't mean that the pump is not operating properly it just means that the check valve is bad. I have replaced a ton of fuel pumps for this problem but not so much on Fords, Gm is the ones that usually have this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech, that sounds plausable, just hate the thought of dropping the tank for a new pump:(

I think the diagnosis has been made, turning the key on and off several times primes the system and she fires first crank.

Gonna try a little hillbilly diagnoses tonight, I live on a hillside, my Driveway is on about a 20 deg slope.

Gonna back her in tonight and see what happens come the morn, never know.

That would probably work if the fuel pickup was on the bottom of the tank, unfortunately the fuel pump actually lifts the fuel from the bottom of the tank and moves it out through the top so I kind of doubt that that parking on a hill is gonna make a difference one way or the other. When you do drop the tank try to run it as low as you can on fuel before doing so. FWIW it may be easier to pull the bed off, that is the way I do the majority of them in the shop...never had to do a fuel pump on a ST before.

Don't laugh, but check the ground cable on the battery. Had somewhat the same issue. It used to fire right away. One day it started to take a while to fire. Checked the battery cables and the ground was loose. I tightened it and the problem went away.

Tom

With older Fords, the fuel pump relay was a common issue as well...

It would get dirty and the connection within the relay was not good enough to run the pump at full amperage. As a result, the pump would not spin at the normal RPM's thus low fuel pump pressure...

That said,,, all the things you have listed above do lead me to believe it is the fuel pump.

That would probably work if the fuel pickup was on the bottom of the tank, unfortunately the fuel pump actually lifts the fuel from the bottom of the tank and moves it out through the top so I kind of doubt that that parking on a hill is gonna make a difference one way or the other.

Yes, but parking on an uphill vs. a downhill will make my ST's gas gauge vary by 1/4 tank. And if I park nose down, I have had 2 times where it wouldn't crank.

No love on the connections tom, believe me i Checked them.

parking the trac Butt up is no help.

removing the tank as per the manual seems pretty straight forward, 3 bolts on the fill tube, one clamp, 4 bolts on the straps, drop it, disco the connections, done.

But that puppy is at least 4 ft Long:(

removing the bed may be a viable option, 4 big torx, but alot of electrical connections.

If i can undo the torx and maybe jack the bed up 10 inches next to the cab I may be able to get to the fuel pump.

anyone ever remove ther bed?

Bill, how old is your battery? When mine was going out, I was having all kinds of electrical gremlins. Including starting problems.

bill - we remove the bed to do the body lift. 4 bolts , screws around the filler tube and you should be able to lift it and swing it back enough to see the tank. It is pretty easy. I don't recall having to do anything with electrical connections but I did not take it away from the truck. You can go to a site that sells the PA body lift and there should be a link to their install instructions. It will have exactly the steps in it.

e is a 3 yr old Optima yellow top, sucker cranks bigtime

Scott, maybe will do the bed, as said above, may be the best way

B

The electrical is usually just one plug at the end of the bed for the lights. On the Rangers I just take the bolts out of the driver side of the bed, loosen the ones on the passenger side, disconnect the filler tube and then just lift the drivers side of the bed and put a block of wood between the bed and the frame...I bet you could do that on the ST also...hold on I just looked at mine. Mine is an 08 and I am not sure if the Ranger trick would work but I bet I could have that bed off in about 7 minutes, sure beats the hell out of dropping the fuel tank

If you can do a ranger that way the trac should be similar.

Good Idea Scott, went on summits site for trac Body lifts, instrucions for the bed are , 4 bolts, filler tube, than slide the bed back 12 inches, I think thats the ticket.

Thx

Latest posts