Vibration at 80 MP/H??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS Saia

Reaction score
I've now changed the shocks and tires, and I still have a vibration which starts at 78 MP/H and deminishes after 90 MP/H. I know the ST is a truck, but this is our highway cruising speed up here and it gets annoying. What should I check next ?? Or is this a normal ST thing?? I was certain that it was due to my slightly "warped" winter tires but I guess I was wrong. Any ideas ?:unsure:

Check your alignment. If not that it could be your driveshaft that needs to be balanced. Mine would start to vibrate a little at 80km/hr and get worse the faster I went. At about 120km/hr it would feel like I was going to vibrate right off the road. Once the driveshaft was replaced it was as smooth as glass.

Mine used to vibrate around 75, but it went away when I got new tires, and an alignment. so was probably a balancing thing. She makes it to 100 smoothly. ( No I don't do that often )

I had a high speed vibration that went away with new lower balljoints, they were pretty sloppy. I have 80K miles on mine. You might want to check yours.

Driveshaft TSB (free replacement) on '03 and prior fixed this on a bunch of them.

Only if you are under warranty. If you are not it is cheaper to go to a driveshaft place that will balance it for you.

I have the same problem since I bought mine used. It vibrates with the stock tires. Then I bought 20" wheels /balanced and it still would vibrate at speeds over 60mph and when i hit bumps at that speed it shook a little more. My tire pressure is even. I feel like one day it will loosen my bolts so I check the tightness every week but they are fine. I guess it can be many things but I don't want to start guessing and changing this and that. I don't have the money to guess. Me and my girl consider it a free vibrating seat massage at this speed. hahaha, but yeah its annoying sometimes seeing my leg shaking and im not doing it. hahahah

Vbration at speeds in excess of 70 MPH are NOT wheel balancing or alignment problems. They are caused by the driveshaft being out of balance. This was fairly common problem on many early model year Sport Tracs.

Ford was replacing the standard steel tube driveshafts with new aluminum units.

If the vibration is at or below normal highways speeds (up to 70 MPH) then it will most likely be a wheel balance issue, or perhaps a devctive or out of round tire, or a bent wheel.

...Rich

XST- read my post under that, ONLY IF YOU ARE UNDER WARRANTY is it free. TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, it is only to tell a service tech how to fix common problems/issues. It is not a recall or warranty. Nothing free about it.