Waiting for Stella

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Well, looks like the East Coast might get hammered in the next couple of days. Right now they are predicting 6-10" of snow for this area (west central PA) starting tomorrow night but potentially double that for areas farther to the east. I guess it all depends how close the storm stays to the coast. They have been adjusting the predicted snow totals upward all day...

Stella? The National Weather Service doesn't name things other than tropical storms and hurricanes. I'm in Wisconsin... the land of winter storms... and I've never heard of a winter storm being named by an official, reputable entity.

Mark, they started naming winter storms now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_storm_naming_in_the_United_States

I thought they even started naming Thunderstorms but I could be wrong on that.

In Mark's defense it is a system devised by The Weather Channel. I guess it depends on whether or not you consider that a "reputable entity".

I never stated anywhere in my original post who named the storm, or for that matter, that "Stella" had anything to do with the storm but somebody must have been aware of the name anyway. :wink:

I gave up on The Weather Channel about 15 years ago when they hyped everything as a "sky is falling" event that nears the Apocalypse. It got to the point that they were intentionally getting people all upset over nothing. I watch YouTube clips of that Jim Cantore guy telling everyone that the world is going to come to an end. I won't get into the way the over-hype every storm in the northeast while ignoring the rest of the country. Pierre, South Dakota could get 24 inches of snow and there's no mention of it, yet a 4 inch snowfall in NYC gets top billing.

Yep. I'm in Des Moines, and I've noticed Minneapolis can get buried and barely get covered in the news. When the same storm gets to Chicago, it's national news. By the time it gets to New York it's the worst ever, even if Minneapolis got the worst of the storm.

It definitely got overblown for this area. Unless the lake effect kicks in overnight we might have 3" from this one.

As far as NYC getting all the coverage they do have a slightly more dense population and you can take that in more ways than one. We won't mention who they...oh never mind. :grin:

I'm headed south for the weekend and will be traveling with my sister and her husband. They live only about 70 miles east of here. I just talked to my brother-in-law and he said he measured 16.5" in his yard yesterday. The airport we are flying out of tomorrow afternoon is another 50 or 60 miles east of their place. Could be interesting...

Latest posts