Want to buy an 07, what issues should I be concerned with

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my '07 about 3 years ago, private party sale, 32K on the clock. Since then I've put about 30K on it. Had to purchase a transmission reflash from dealer after I went out of warranty. About a month ago I had the rear axles rebuilt because the outer CV boots were cracked and were slinging oil. If you find a car you like, spend the money for a pre-purchase inspection, then negotiate the price.

Hey Matt,

There isn't too much with the GenII Sport Trac to write home about. In my case a few things were an annoyance more than a problem. Example:

1) rear brake calipers sometimes "rattle", a TSB was issued on how to fix it, no charge under warranty.

2) I've had problems with the illumination of the icons on the headlight switch. Currently on my 3rd switch. It doesn't affect the operation of the switch, but I'm one of those "car nut" kind of guys. So I want everything to work the way its supposed to.

3) You will hear about a "trannie bump" from members on here. Its like a surge from the downshift into first gear, just as you come to a stop. Some have it and live with it, others have had the dealer reprogram the trans module(update program) and it works the way it should.

4) I've had some problems with the brake calipers seizing up on the slide pins. Causes uneven wear of the pads and less efficient operation of the brakes.

A few other things were cosmetic and no real need to go into them(just take real good care of the leather interior!) Thats all I've had any issues with, just be really up on the monthly maintainence and you'll be fine. Bob

Check to be sure the exhaust manifold studs are not broken. Both sides on mine broke. (4.6 V8) and were repaired under warranty, but had they not been under warranty would have probably been about 1k+ each to fix. The problem is the manifolds warp when heating/cooling and breaks the studs off inside the head, which then require them to be drilled out and the manifolds replaced.

Only way to really check for it is start the vehicle up when it is cold (as in sitting overnight) because once the manifold warms up, it seals off the break. It will sound like a ticking or snapping sound at idle or acceleration, and will go away after like 10 or 15 seconds depending on how cold it was.

Had a recall done for the park/shift interlock (was hard to put into gear from park occasionally)

Have had the trans reprogrammed under a TSB for the tranny bump, but it came back a few thousand miles later. I just live with it.

Other than that, I have had no issues with it, and ordered it in early July 2006, delivered to me August 2006 (Got my name on the window sticker even!)

Why choose a 2007 model? My understanding is that the 2008 model was the re-design with additional safety features added. They changed the design to be longer and roll-over risk was reduced as well. I'd go with 2008 or later to get the better design. Suggest you consider 2008 instead. I love my 2008 Adrenalin.

Uh, 2007 was the first year for the gen II, not 2008. There is no significant difference between 2007 and 2008. The last year for the gen I model was 2005. There was no 2006 Sport Trac.

I have had some of the same issues as mentioned by others with my 2007 V8 4x4 LTD but had all of them addressed by the dealer under warranty. I have made a few performance mods and installed BFG All-terrain T/As when the truck was new. I replaced two of those tires at ~58k miles and still have the other two on the truck at ~62k. I have two more new BFGs but don't need to use them just yet.

If the ST gives me another two good years I will be happy. It has been a good, reliable vehicle and does everything I need very well. Now if Ford would just get over themselves and bring the new Ranger Wildtrak to the US that would be my next truck. If not I will probably be forced to buy another brand because I just have no use for a huge ass F-150.

Upgraded mine 3 mos ago after putting a100k on my 01 and love it! Only issue is the exhaust manifolds. The dealer I bought it from is supposed to take care of it. If you do a search on this topic youll find a ton of info like I did. Members here were very helpful. My best advice, take your time and look around. I drove 8 hrs for the options I wanted vs settling for what was available locally. Good luck!

Thanks for the info on 2007 versus 2008. I was always an Adrenalin fan and so they didn't come out with an Adrenalin Gen2 until 2008 so that was my confusion. Then 2007 would be fine. Most concern for going with Gen 2 versus Gen 1. Love both but saw huge improvement when going to Gen 2. All versions though have been flawless and best vehicle I've ever owned bar none. Wish Ford would wake up and give us a Gen 3 or some equivalent as I do not want to have to look at Toyota next time around.

I'm not sure what Ford changed, but my '10 Limited is a whole lot better truck than my '07 Limited was. It just seems built so much tighter, smoother, quieter, powerful, and less flexing. My guess is that they kept making tweaks and improvements all through production.

Good luck.

Latest posts