• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Wanted: Bed Extender

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtGray

Reaction score
I have been looking for a bed extender for my 2008. Do they help much or does it ride in your garage more than your truck?

I use mine often. Besides serving as an extender, it also serves as a bed divider, allowing a confined space to hauling small loads (groceries, bags of soil, etc). Mine stays in the vehicle, but is easily removed if necessary. If you find one, be sure to ask about the mounting/pivot bolts.

I built one with scrap plywood and some hardware I had in the shop. I needed to transport a number of small but long items across the state that were much longer than the native 49" of my bed. Those pipe-based units with the beveled corners looked like a poor solution for what I needed. They are only good for bulky items and waste valuable square footage on the tailgate with the thickness of the structure and the angled corners.

I cut two 3/4" x 4" x 18" plywood spacers for the mount to the bolt holes on the sides of the tailgate opening that are presumably there for the OEM bed extender attachment. I then cut two 3/4" 18" x 27" sheets for the sides and drilled holes in the spacers and the sides to fit those bolt holes. The length was chosen to use the full length of the tailgate and the bolt holes are 1.5" from the front end of the side panels so they can be swung in a 180-degree arc to position the extender back into the bed when not in use.

I cut a 3/4" x 18" x 47.5" piece for the back and fastened the sides and back together with two 3" angle brackets on each side. The back is butted against the two sides for maximum length rather than between the two sides. I then cut a 1/4" x 24" x 47.5" piece of plywood and fastened it to the underside of the open end of the U-shaped structure to bridge the gap between the bed and the tailgate and give it a bit more rigidity at the open end.

I used two fender washers to space the spacer blocks from the sides of the tailgate opening so as not to crush the plastic washers that are in the sheet metal and clear the rubber tailgate gasket. Another fender washer is between the spacer block and the bed extender plywood and a final one is under the head of the bolts that thread into the sides of the truck.

I built it so that it could swing back into the bed like the OEM units but since I have an OEM hard tonneau cover, that was not possible because of the latch hardware mounted on the bed for the back section of the cover.

It worked perfectly for this trip and I piled a lot of stuff into that 18" high x 75" long space without fear of it falling out.

Unfortunately I did not take photos of it since the used plywood was already rather haphazardly painted and quite ugly. But I needed functional and for four days it did not matter what it looked like. I disassembled it for painting but have not done that yet since I won't need to use it again for a while. Another bonus of this construction is that it takes up very little room in the garage when disassembled.

Yes, it did happen despite the lack of photos so no snarky responses needed here.

If you had the wood in your scrap pile already, the hardware (2 bolts, 8 fender washers, 4 angle brackets, 16 screws, washers, lock washers and nuts) would probably cost around $15 at the hardware store.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_E3987.JPG
    IMG_E3987.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_E3989.JPG
    IMG_E3989.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_E3990.JPG
    IMG_E3990.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_E3991.JPG
    IMG_E3991.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_E3988.JPG
    IMG_E3988.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 83
I have been looking for a bed extender for my 2008. Do they help much or does it ride in your garage more than your truck?
Do you have any Salvages nearby? I wasn't really wanting one for $100 or more(I've owned the truck 14 years,) but I got lucky last week and found one at a salvage in great condition for $12.99. Guess I'll see how useful it is!
Most salvages here just list them as Explorers, have only found 4 in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_114629904.jpg
    IMG_20210913_114629904.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 61
a GEN 1 extender will work in a GEN 2 if you don't have the factory bed cover....

There have to be more of those extenders out there than there are ST's on the road. Should be able to find them in salvage yards, me'd thinks. :)

Also should be able to make better, if you can't find one of those. But there have to be thousands of those across the US, that don't have a home yet.

Just sold my bed mat and extender for a gen 2.... but here in NY... shipping is murder.

Latest posts