Warranty out soon

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 59934

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My 2003 ST's warranty will be running out soon. Are there any issues I should be having them fix under warranty before then? I already had the center radio bezel replaced but I was thinking there may be some issues that are not so obvious. I read something about a radiator hose that rubs and should be replaced. Are there other items that I should be checking out?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

People can give you a list of things that "could" be wrong.....

The problem is that then you start looking for things and then you always think something is wrong or going to go wrong...

Just have them do a complete once over on the truck, check all components, and fluids.

Then just continue what your doing..

Todd Z

They will only fix things that are broken. They will not replace good items that might break someday. That is not how a warranty works. It amazes me that many do not understand that concept.

Bill-E, regarding "being amazed" I actually think this site creates hypochondriac (sp?) ST owners. They read about TSBs and issues others are having, equate them to "possible" symptoms they seem to be having, and go to their dealer and demand remedy.

I for example am debating getting my radio bezel replaced too. It has two paint peeling spots, each one no bigger than a dime. It's hardly noticeable, and if not for this board I probably would have never even considered getting it replaced.

RnRJefro does ask a common question and it is interesting that many people here think work should be done even if there are no problems, or that they should hunt for problems, but that is one aspect of this site and its members that I don't think will change.

TJR

Bill-E, regarding "being amazed" I actually think this site creates hypochondriac (sp?) ST owners.

I would have to agree.

Here is an example...I need to adress an issue in my 2000 Explorer. I knew the problem before I purchased it, so I knew what I was getting into.

I need to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets. I looked into the repair manual I got from a member here, and there was an additional warrenty coverage covering the timing chain tensioner and intake gasket. Ford sold a kit to address that issue.

The timing chain rattle ONLY affected the Sport Trac Job 1 engines and prior Explorer models with that same engine. It ONLY happens at start-up and clears up within 30 seconds or so. It WILL NOT cause ANY perminant damage to the engine.

It does not rattle between 2000 and 3000 RPM. It does not rattle at 3/4 throttle, 30 MPH, or anything else. It only rattles at start-up then goes away.

People still complain about the timing chain rattle that does not exist.

Just for the record, the tensioner is a simple repair and I plan on replacing it this weekend since I will have the intake manifold off this weekend.

Tom

Before your warranty is up, maybe you should consider buying the extended service plan, depending on how many miles you have on your ST. I bought one from Rusty just before mine expired, extending warranty to 6 yrs. Right after my orig warranty expired, my 6 CD changer quit ejecting CD's, and on the way to the dealers to have it fixed, my OD light started to flash. It took Ford 3 tries to fix my tranny, finally rebuilding the whole thing, and I am now on my 5th Pioneer 6 CD radio. Just after that, whenever I fueled up my ST, it would stall. There was a TSB on that and they had to put in a new fuel tank.

Just think how much money it would have cost me to have all of this fixed at my own expense. It saved me thousands of dollars by buying the ESP. By the way, my ST is a very late model 2002 (it actually has all of the 2003 features). Just a thought for you to consider.

Gary