washing the engine???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
so i went mudding in the trac the other day. i washed the outside but the engine is reely dirty! can i just wash it down with a hose when the engine is cool or will i damage something??? thanks, Ryan

I've hit mine with a power washer plenty of times. If you have an open air filter, seal it with a trash bag but DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE BAG OFF! Otherwise, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Ditto What Jeff C said. I've power washed mine many times, no problems at all.

Dont high pressure any of the electrical engine harness. Just pass over the connections, dont high pressure them directly...

Wow, you pressure washer guys are brave.

Take some Simple Green. Spray it all over everything (in the engine compartment except those places already pointed out). Let it set for several minutes. Then simply hose it off with a garden hose. High pressure not needed, if you let Simple Greem do it's work..

:)

Simple Green is enviromentally friendly. You can wash it right into your yard and your plants won't care. Greased Lighting... no so friendly, your plants won't appreciate it very much.

I use nothing but Soap and water.....

Your engine should not build up grease unless there is a leak or something wrong...

Most of the time your just cleaning off road dust,dirt, or mud...

Todd Z

unless you have an oiled filter and some of the oil gets vaporized by the heat in the engine bay and sticks to everything in there or you spill a bit of oil while changing the filter and the oil smoke collects on everything......

unless you have an oiled filter and some of the oil gets vaporized by the heat in the engine bay and sticks to everything in there or you spill a bit of oil while changing the filter and the oil smoke collects on everything......

Then your simply just doing something wrong !!!!!! No excuses for sloppy work....

Todd Z