Washing under the hood

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I was outside today fooling around with my ST and noticed that under the hood is very dusty. I was thinking about taking it to the car wash to spray the engine bay, is this safe to do? And if so, what kind of cleaner can I use?

Grease lightning in the big purple spray bottle in the automotive dept. of Walmart works well. Just be sure to read the label first of what to and not to spray it on. Simple Green works well too. -Heather

Check on search button, then type in engine cleaning, check 'title' and 'message', choose 'all posts'. There are threads on the subject.:)

Heather typed faster than me...............

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Simple Green cut w/ 75% water on my Ranger for years. I had for 9 years total. I had an AC compressor go bad and power steering pump about same time, seals. I was thinking Simple Green might have been corrosive for the seals can't say for sure though. Next time i'll hook up garden hose to water heater, cut the power and spray like that. I dunno.

What I do for just dust is, goe to a carwash that has the no spot rinse..It is lower pressure..I dont saturate any electrical connects..then I drive it till it all dries..never had any problems...

Leave your vehicle running. DO NOT spray into the intake if by chance you have no filter or something like that.

I do it all the time, never had any issues...

I spray my engine once a month with the full pressure wash at self-service car wash. Then rinse it off. If I have time left, I hit it with the hot wax and then the no spot rinse. I've done this to my cars for years and never had a problem (and always had nice clean engines).

Just don't concentrate the spray on electrical stuff and you will be OK.

I always shut the engine off and let it cool just a bit before washing it off.

No problems!

I just pull into the carwash, wrap K&N filter cone with plastic, spray with soap, rinse with regular rinse,then spot free. I have never had any trouble getting it to start. Just remember to pull the plactic.:)

On a cold engine cover your intake, and altornator, spray it down with simple green, let set 10 mins, rinse it off, with a leaf blower, blow off the excess water.

remove the bag from the intake, drive it till dry, let the engine cool, spray it down with pigspit.

www.pigspit.com

Todd Z

Since no one has mentioned it, don't spray a hot engine with cold water...it's not good for the metal parts.

At work we usually spray the engine down with some Super Purple, the hit it with a steam pressure washer. Engines look nice brand new afterwards. Just be sure to avoid the alternator, battery, distributor, computer, and the master cylinder.