water heaters

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
I have some water under my water heater and am wondering if it is about to croak. What do the plumbers out there think? Also, as far as a new one- what is everybody's opinions. Gas vs electric, tank vs. tankless. Which is cheaper to install, which is cheaper to operate? What does everybody think about these new tankless systems? any thought would be appreciated.

2 things,

How old is it ???

Also is the relief valve leaking, and dripping ??

If it is older then 10 years, yes replace it before it explodes.....

The cheapest thing is to simply replace what you have, But I have a 3rd one super store and i love it...

Many other members here have the new tank less and have no problems, but i use little oil and need the hot water..

Todd Z

if you have both electric and gas available at the house, then the choice is a bit harder, i have a gas WH for the bath rooms and electric for the kitchen/laundry room. I got the gas for the Baths because of its quicker recovery time over the electric, and the gas models have to be vented, the electric one is in the crawl space but the venting would have been difficult to do per the builder. I looked at the tankless ones, but had trouble with cost, read about them and determine if you have to do any modification to the gas lines in terms of providing sufficent gas flow to meet the demand when the tankless starts up. There are minimum gas flow rates for the tankless, so....

If there's water under it then that usually means it's near its end. Like Todd Z said, check the pressure relief to see if it's wet. I have to keep a bucket under my pressure relief tube because the water pressure in my town is very high.

I agree, if it's older than 10 yrs and the pressure releif valve is NOT leaking then I would definately replace it. Gas is my reccomendation but i'm interested in hearing feedback from those that have tankless which is what I am considering.

I just replaced mine. I went with a unit from Menards, it is manufactured by Rheem. It has a spot in the top to replace the sacrifical rod.

I too thought about tankless. I would have needed to repipe my exhaust since I have a 3" and would need a 4. Plus I am in the process of selling my house, so I wouldn't be here long enough to reap the benefits.

I used this site:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/the-right-hot-water-heater.html

gas is much faster recovery and in my area, cheaper. YMMV.

If the relief is not leaking, change it quick, especially if it is inside. I had a house with the water heater inside and it ruptured, thank goodness we were home.

Gerry

We have power outages on occasion, and having a gas water heater is a real good feeling in the morning when the lights are out. It may be dark and candlelit, but at least I can take a warm shower!

A little water heater humor.

My wife called me at work and told me the gas water heater had burst and water was flying all over the basement. I called a co worker who was off that day and he went over and shut off the gas, turned the water off in the house, cut the line feeding the heater and prepared to solder a cap on the copper pipe so ther would be water in the house until I got home and replaced the heater. He asked my wife for a piece of bread and she went upstairs and fixed him a sandwich. He wanted the bread to plug the pipe while he soldered the cap on.

If your in the house for the long haul, tankless without question IMO

Installed a renii (sp) in our last house, worked flawlessly, also had it plumbed with a recirc pump for instant hot water even upstairs, worked great.

Upfront costs were a little more going tankless, well worth it tho.

Latest posts