Water leak in 3rd brake light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Ok so here it goes....I have water pooling in my third brake light. I took it off and sealed all around it but I still have water getting in somehow. I also just noticed now that the headliner near the passenger rear corner is wet as well. Can I assume it may be the roof rack? I do have a sunroof but it seems the drains are free and clear. Any Ideas before tearing off the roof racks?:angry:

i had the same problem, never did figure out what it was, but i siliconed everything up there

mine was pooling on the driver side. i thiink it was actually leaking from the seam under the little peice of plastic on top of the cab... i put a big glob of silicone in there, and no leaks since.

goodluck, i know it is very frustrating.... and also kinda stinks on a hot day after rain

Meh took off the passenger side roof rail and sealed it up...hopefully this solves the issue of the water leak :sad:

Same problem here, I silicones the removed the third brake light and the roof racks and silicones the roof racks and used 3M double sided tape on the third brake light then trimmed the excess off around the light housing. Works great, haven't had any leaks foralmost three years now.:banana::supercool:

I seem to think it is coming from the third brake light. I fed my satelite antenna through that seal and it leaked. It pooled up on the ledge behind the drivers side rear seat. I removed the wire and the leaking mostly stopped. I may have damaged the seal because it still leaks during very heavy rain. I will try using the silicone to stop it.

I bought an 08 Adrenelin in April, after the first rain storm I noticed that the tray above the sub woofer was filled with water. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the roof brake light under warrent. Apperently its a common problem with the factory seal wearing out. The seal and the light are a single unit so you have to replace the entire light to fix the problem. I have had no leaking issues since the light was replaced.

The trick is to PUSH down with your hand on the light then tighten the screws !!! Drawing the light down with the screw does not hold it to seal it...

Todd Z

It's a common problem with F150's, too. The authorized repair is to replace the light, but if you have the patience, you can peel off the old weatherstrip and replace it with weatherstripping on a roll. I had to do it a couple of weeks ago on my F150.

Latest posts