Water Leaking through dome light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
Drove to work in a pretty hard rain storm last night, I work 11p to 7a shift. Going home this morning I noticed a drop of water fall on my console. It was coming out of the passengers side dome light switch in the overhead console. Do not know if it is coming from the moonroof of from the windshield. Anyone else had this problem? Will call the dealer Monday morning to see about repairs.

Sounds like the moonroof. Don't have one in my ST, but had in other vehicles. It's probably one or more of the channel vents in the corners of the moonroof may be clogged. Those little holes channel water thru the frame and out the bottom. If clogged, the water has nowhere else to go, and may show up in your headlining, overhead console, etc. I used pipe cleaners periodically, especially before the rain, and didn't have any further issues. Hopefully, it's just that.

Good luck!

Thanks Lyonpride, I just checked the drains and they look fine, am planning on taking it to the dealer to see if they can find it, although I do not know if they can find the problem without water pooring in?????????

Same happened to me a few months ago... Heavy rain. My STA got caught in a flood area. Water was up to the running boards. Had the drip in the light. The drip stopped and hasn't come back since... We believed that the flood water was above the drain holes at the bottom of the truck and caused the back up in the moonroof and dome light.

You can also try locating the drain lines at the moon roof and blowing a little compressed air in there to push out any gunk... Did that in my old mustang with the cowl vent from time to time.

Did you pour water down the drains to check for flow?

Latest posts