~ WAX on Cladding/Plastic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
Is there anything that get's Wax buildup off the Plastic cladding!? I accidentally touched up the wrong spot and now there is a white streak on my rear bumper by the exhaust!

I have tried a few things but nothing seems to work......HELP!

Thanks in advance!

I found wax remover, OR goof off on a q-tip works well..

Todd Z

One of those rectangle shaped pencil erasers works good, too. The ones with the slanted corners. I used them on my old Focus all the time. Takes a little time, but it gets it done.

Turtle Wax ice does a great job of waxing and you cant touch the cladding all you want to with it and it doesnt leave white streaks,

We need to differentiate here.

Turtle Wax Polish is a sealant/wax. They call it a polish because they do--but they're wrong. In reality, polishes should do no more than remove clearcoat (to remove surface scratches) or fill scratches (i.e., polishes with silicone fillers). Ice, as stated on their web site, provides shine and durability. This is a sealant.

Waxes refer to carnuba-based products. They're old school, but when topping a sealant, probably add the best depth of shine.

Sealants are synthetic waxes, but more. They're more durable and require less per square foot than waxes. They don't fill scratches. Rather, they just create a thin layer of protection on top of the paint. Thus, a proper "perfect shine" treatment requires you to strip waxes, clay, polish with a rotary (to perfect the clear), then seal it with a sealant.

- Your resident detailing freak

I just cleaned wax from mine this week. I used the Lysol cleaner with orange in it...soaked a paper towel and wiped it all down...clean and streak free.

used the Lysol cleaner with orange in it...soaked a paper towel and wiped it all down

wow... i dont think thats the best way to wipe down the vehicle... :wacko:

Just spread the peanut butter on and let your dog take care of the rest!

:lol: does the peanut butter actually work??? lol never heard of that trick... kinda cool tho lol

Mother's Back To Black. The stuff is actually white and is fine to use on the gray cladding. Puts a nice shine on as well.

I didn't wipe down the whole vehicle...just the plastic around the bed...then treated it with armour all...it's a hell of a lot better than greasy peanut butter!

I didn't wipe down the whole vehicle...just the plastic around the bed...then treated it with armour all...it's a hell of a lot better than greasy peanut butter!

You should try 303 protectant on the plastic around the bed, it won't streak like armourall and won't leave the plastic feeling slippery.

Another vote for Mother's "Back to Black". Treating the trim with this stuff before waxing will prevent any wax from taking hold. I discovered this accidentaly prior to detailing my Trac. I wanted to use 3M painter's tape to mask all the trim to shield them from stray wax/polish. But since I treated all trim with "Back to Black", the tape wouldn't stick!

Turns out I didn't need the tape because even after using Mother's 3-step (which involves 3 separate coats) the trim was not stained. And I had lots of accidents and instances were I could not help running the buffer over portions of trim. I was quick to wipe off the accidents, but even wax/polish that I had overlooked and sat overnight still came off with no stains when I did find them.

The key is to be liberal with the stuff. Apply it with a foam brush and, contrary to instructions of letting it penetrate for only a couple of minutes, I let it set for duration.

yea, that back to black stuff works great... its actually the only mothers product i use everything else is meguires.

hmm... what is that 303 stuff? ive honestly never heard of it???:unsure:

Latest posts