ways to get better MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
Got 26 MPG highway last week

all syns, engine, tranny and diff.

run the tires 5 lbs over ,I:E 40 lbs, stay off the skinny pedal,do not want to hear an exhaust note, drive 55 mph

on a 65 freewway, REALLY WORKS for me, go easy on the pedal and you would be amazed.

I upped my rear tires to 40psi & the front to 38psi. I had been averaging 20mpg and after upping the inflation now average right at 22mpg. All the while driving the speedlimit.

BTW...The Crapyears have a 44psi max.

Two things I do that work very well..

Drive like there is a hot cup of coffee on the dash and you don't want to spill it.

Start of slow (as in easy on the gas pedal), anticipate stops, coast long before you need to stop, try not to use the brake as little as possible (no quick or hard braking) and keep it at 69 and below.

For some reason, when I hit 70 mph the fuel economy dropped dramatically, at 69, it was just about as good as I cold get..

Both easy and doable.

Actually, 16MPG in the city is pretty good for you. Remember, you're still driving a V8 truck. And if you have AWD, that detracts from your MPG also.

I get 11-13 city. I performed Dingo's tranny fix last night and I beat the $hit out of the truck on a fresh tank of gas. With all the mods I've done I can't get below 10.8 mpg. Before I would get as low as 8.9-9.3 mpg. Mine is a V8 AWD.

That's twice the mileage I got with my F150 city.

I had problems with it shifting strange because of the adaptive learning crap. I used to drive it like a nearsighted 80 year old man. Basically Dingo told me to disconnect both battery terminals. Then touch them together (not sure why I had to do this). Wait 30min or so. Reconnect terminals. Drive it like you stole it. This way it learns faster.

I took Amanda withe me and we beat the hell out of it. It was a TON OF FUN. I've never really got on it like that with the intake and Magnaflow exhaust. It sounded awesome and shifted perfectly.

So far, so good.

some people's ST's will go 55??? Mine always seems to speed up past that!! It is truly hard to go that speed when you are used to going 70 all day everyday.;) It feels like I am driving miss daisy

Get yourself a bass heavy sound system and you won't want to get out of the car! I did that and I don't mind driving slow if it means I can rattle windows on the way by :)

I don't mind driving slow if it means I can rattle windows on the way by

Show a little courtesy and keep the noise in your truck. Most people don't appreciate having their windows rattled by some a-hole driving around thinking he's cool because his bass can be heard 1/4 mile away.

Latest posts