Weird things are happening!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry about the title, wasn't really sure how to title this one!

I have some weird things going on with my 2001 trac. A couple of months ago, I heard a strange noise developing. It's sort of a whirly noise that seems to be coming from right behind the firewall. Can't really pinpoint it. I hear it whenever I hit the gas. When I'm driving at higher speeds, like over 60, and I take my foot off of the gas pedal, the petal sort of "flutters". When I put it in 4 wheel high, it seems to calm down the whirly noise but I CAN BARELY TURN THE WHEEL! It'll turn some, but not much. I mean, it feels like one of the dang tires are sideways!

I recently (after the issues came up) changed the following:

oil & filter

Tranny fluid and filter (Mercron v)

Rear diff oil

Front diff oil

Transfer case fluid (Mercron)

Power steering fluid

Transmission mount

Brake pads

Driver side caliper (bled system)

Power steering pressure line.

I hope that's enough information for someone to give me a good diagnosis!

Thanks guys!

:edited to add: I should also mention that in the last several years I've changed both wheel hubs, brake rotors, tie rod ends (outers), lower ball joints, upper control arms (+ball joints), sway bar bushings, end links and shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that your Rack & Pinion steering unit is bad and the whirring may be the spool valves in the steering unit. It can be rebuilt, but replacing it with a new or factory rebuilt unit is probably the best way to go but will probably cost $500-$1000 If that is too much money, see if you can locate one in a junkyard. It could also be the power steering pump going bad as well.

The fluttering in the throttle pedal could be something as simple as the throttle cable touching something or just loose and vibrating?

...Rich

Steering binding while driving - now that's scary. I'd put car up on jackstands. Start engine and turn steering wheel lock-to-lock, noting if there's any binding. Shut engine off and check PS fluid reservoir. Get a helper and repeat the engine-on steering check while you observe under hood. If you've got a mechanic's stethoscope, put it on the PS pump while it's turning and see if you hear anything amiss. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power steering binding. On our gen 1 tracs'. Can be as simple as a slipping belt. Try a new belt that is .5" shorter.

Solved my problem...I used a Dayco poly-cog belt. Better results than the .5" shorter gates I tried.

A bad rack & pinion was my thoughts as well. I'm pretty sure it ran dry once or twice when the pressure line was leaking fluid, despite my constant checking and filling it! Interestingly enough, I did also change the serp belt a couple of months ago, forgot all about that! I put an Autozone duralast on it too, I should have known better!

Can you guys tell me how being in 4 wheel drive can have an effect on the rack & pinion? I would think that the problem would be in the differential? I think my half shafts need replaced as well.

Thanks guys!

Your steering system is separate from the transmission/transfer/differentials. No connection. I'm not aware of any diagnostic test for the PS pump or rack. When a pump goes bad it'll usually tell you by increased noise. How many miles on your Trac? Given the cost and complexity of replacing a steering rack, I'd replace the pump, along with the lines. While the serp belt's off, check the idler and tensioner pulleys for binding. If that doesn't solve the problem then you may have to replace the steering rack.

Can you guys tell me how being in 4 wheel drive can have an effect on the rack & pinion?

My only opinion is. With the front drive axles. The rack has to push more weight. When pushing and pulling in turns. Then again the 4x4 rack and pinion might be different. More powerful, than the 4x2...IDK..

That makes sense Eddie, maybe the pump or the rack isn't keeping up with the extra load of 4x4?

Today I replaced the belt with the Dayco poly 5060860. The difference is noticeable, but didn't fix the issues I'm having.

I think I'll change the pump next since it seems easier and cheaper then the R&P. Anyone have any experience changing them? Any brands you recommend or that I should avoid? I'll more then likely go with a remanufactured unit.

As Vic noted, there is no (practical) interaction between the 4WD and the steering systems.

Based on the parts availability, the rack and pinion, and power assist, is the same for 2 and 4WD. The weight of the axles is primarily carried by the axle housing and partially by the knuckle. Functionally, the additional work performed by the steering on a 4WD is that bit of additional weight of the axle mounted in the knuckle and the resistance to turning of the CV joint; all-in-all, not much.

At this point, I suggest that, instead of replacing parts in the hope of stumbling upon the culprit, take it to a reputable repair facility. Sure, they charge a premium for labor, but compared to the cost of potentially unnecessary parts and the value of your time, it may be less expensive in the end; plus, you get a warranty.