What a rabbit hole ......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Sporty

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have been fighting an issue with our 2001 Sport Trac for more years than I can remember. Hot restarting and stalling. No engine light, no overheating, no codes. We avoided being stranded by just driving it during winter cooler months but this was bugging me more than I can say. Having retired I began to REALLY think about is this a minor problem or is this something not worth fixing and just live with it. Adding to our frustration we would see Sport Trac's daily on the road running fine and looking much worse that ours. Here's a list of things I replaced from search the internet for the key to this mystery.

1st Fuel Pump
New Idle Control Value
New EGR Valve
Reroute battery cable to alternator
New Battery
New Spark Plugs (OEM)
New Plug Wires (OEM)
New ignition Coil
New Coil Lead (plug)
New EMC
New Vacuum line to PVC valve
New thermostat housing
New Charcoal Canisters off fuel tank
New Pressure Valve on Fuel Tank
2nd Fuel Pump
Replaced Transmission Body Gasket
New Gas Cap
New Fuel Filter
New Water Pump
New Hoses
New A/C High Side Hose
New A/C Dryer
Replaced Intake Manifold Gaskets
New Air Filter
New Mass Flow Sensor
New Throttle Position Sensor

Then I came across the subject of a vacuum purge sensor on line. Interestingly the function of this little inexpensive part can cause symptoms which I was experiencing for many years. Not to mention tricking one into thinking its a fuel delivery issue because of the engine stumbling during load demands. My year of Sport Trac has the non-return fuel system which if the engine is at all missing RPM will starve the pump making you think the pump is failing. Or somewhere there is a major vacuum leak. I bench tested the part and it was frozen and leaking. Question comes up how did it run without this part functioning? My only conclusion is that between the EMC, Idle control valve, Mass Flow Sensor these would keep the engine operating the best they could but in extreme conditions these would fail. The purge sensor would not operate properly and flood the engine with a vacuum leak causing my engine to stumble. It felt similar to a vapor lock in my 71 Camaro. Hope this helps someone not to start at the top of my list before you test the purge sensor first.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 7