what are the best mods for the buck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kleppe

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting dual exhaust on my 03 sport trac. I always see people doing the cat back with mufflers having one in and two out configuration. can you do a true dual exhaust from engine all the way back or is this not duable on the trac's? what do headers do to the performance, are they a plus or a minus? Don't want to go crazy but will spend money on things that help performance and MPG. I am thinking of a cold air intake - Yes; chip - yes; Headers - ???; dual exhaust - ??? what will be the best system for my "03" ??? over the span of a few paycheck money will not be a problem. Truck at this point is stock with 112,000

Str8upinfl

2003 sport-trac

str8upinfl - for performance and mpg's you want to work on intake and exhaust. chip NO, do the Xcal2. Any exhaust will help. There is no true dual. Single in dual out is the most popular. Headers don't make much of a difference. Y pipe, high flow cat and cat back exhaust is a sweet setup. Intake and throttle body make a big difference too.

True duals, to be somewhat legal, would require two catalytic convertors which may not be legal everywhere because the truck was not equipped with them stock. Besides that, it would be difficult and maybe impossible to run a pipe down the left side above the transmission and/or transfer case crossmember and gas tank. This is why the dual kits split behind the transmission with the left pipe going up and over the driveshaft and rear axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
True duals is a PITA to do....

If you get the air out, you then need to get it in..

So do your basics first, Intake, exhaust, then get the secondaries, MAF, Throttle body, wires and plugs, Make sure all filters are good, Then go to the y-pipe, cat, UDP, Xcal,

Then the third mods, Coil, UD w/p,

Stuff like that.

OR save the 4K for the S/C....

Todd Z