what are the typical ST transmissions issues and how to identify them

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
still pretty green here, i have a pretty good background in automotive (mostly older stuff)

question,

what is the 1-2 or 2-3 flair? what does it feel like, what are the symptoms? what are the other transmission issues and how does one identify them? i bought an extended warranty for my drivetrain when i bought my trac, i have an appointment to have the transmission fluid flushed and replaced with new mercon v at a very reputable service shop in my area. i just did not want to waste the money on the flush if i had bigger problem i was not feeling..

thanks all

The transmission "flair" is a temporary jump in rpms while shifting when the transmision is "in between gears". usually occurs between 2-3 and aparently 1-2. As the problem progresses the flair my become more pronounced and eventually (if the transmission if failing) will lead to gear slippage (trans. goes in and out of gear when ever it wants).

*The fix is to catch it early before damage is done and flush you transmission and **Make shure that the OEM Ford Fluid is put back in the transmission!

That would be as much as I know about it so far. (correct me if i am wrong).

-Don

Don,

The Fix you list may be one possible "remedy" for some that exhibit the flare, but it's not necessarily an authoritative fix. Sometimes an EPC adjustment is needed; sometimes PC solenoid needs replacing...it all depends. Sometimes all of the above are done and it still doesn't "fix" the problem, or reduce its occurence.

TJR