What color is Royal Purple gear oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Well, as many of you know, we are replacing the differential cover on my wifes Explorer with a clear one. My wife asked about the color of Royal Purple gear lube.

I told her I think it is purple, but I am not sure.

Can anyone confirm it?

She thinks it would be cool to have purple fluid in the differential. It doesn't matter for me, but she is excited about it.

Tom

Regal One, I am no expert, just that there was quite a few site members back in '02 & '03 that raved about RP so I put it in ours and really liked it. I could have just as well put in Amsoil or Mobil 1, and have been just as happy. All I know is that using synthetic oil beats the heck out of Dyno oil. ;)

It is like this. Dad is hell bent on AMSOIL. I could care less. If canola oil would be just as good, I would use it.

Theresa would like purple fluid "because it would look cool", but Dad is brainwashed into thinking AMSOIL is the best there is. I have been able to talk him into POSSIBLY using RP if it is 100% synthetic based on not conventional based like Mobil1 actualy is.

So far, I have seen RP is 100% synthetic based. So I might just go for it. (If you knew Dad, you would understand)

Tom

I read that list already. One of the testers was Longview Inspection.

I used to work for Longview Inspection. They have since changed their name to Acuren Inspection.

J/K Rodger but I know I switched to RP on my first oil change after reading your post on it. Have to get the tranny fluid flushed yet in a couple thousand miles, and my dealer told me that if I bring it in, they will flush and refill with RP. If the gear oil is same as the oil, it is not really dark purple, just a tint of purple.

I have 3 cases of R/P Gear oil at home.... all 3 weights

Tom,

what weight are you using ???

I can get the exact color of the weight your using

Let me know

Todd Z

I can get the color pic and stuff once I get home about 4pm today, unless some one beats me to it...

Also I do know the limited slip additive is brown....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Redline Friction Modifier. I am covered in that area.

I am just happy Theresa is getting into this. She is usually one of those that says "As long as it is running, that is all I care". This time she has told me what color she wanted the calipers painted and now she thinks purple gear lube "would look cool". She is getting more and more into cars and car racing, which is a good thing. She is really into drag racing and stuff like that.

If I do maintenance on her vehicles and she gives me input, that is a good thing.

Tom

LOL that is kewl Tom that she is into it.

My wife is really into cars. She will go to car shows with me, help me work on the cars and ask questions..LOL

She also races cars with me as a hobby. Her real job she is an VP for an insurance company.

And, it's way kewl when guys come up at the track and tell me I kicked their butts on the track. I laugh and say that wasn't me that was my wife...LOL I'm in the other car.

If I would have read the FAQ's all the way instead of glancing through them, I would have seen this tidbit of information...

Does Royal Purple maintain its purple color after it’s put into service?

No. The dye that’s used to color the oil dissipates shortly after being put into service. The color will turn brown at some point.

Looks like RP will not be used for the rear differential.

Tom

SST,

I have tried to get my wife to race her car on the drag strip, but refuses to do so. She thinks guys will make fun of her for getting into a "man's sport"...as she puts it.

I tell her it is the opposite, but she thinks I am lying.

Tom

ok, No pics then......

And it is very cool that a girl is into this stuff. It eliminates a lot of fights and bored nights....

I think when I go to the track this summer, Rachel will be running the adrenalin.... :D

Also, It is not necessary to remove the axles to do the parking brake shoes, While it may be easier, it is not needed...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator: